Thread: Unreliable bluetooth connectivity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unreliable bluetooth connectivity

I have an XPS 15 9530 with Ubuntu 19.04, and just acquired a couple of bluetooth devices: a bluetooth speaker (JBL Flip 4), and a headset (Samsung earbuds).

I have been able to pair and use both bluetooth devices, and from both my Android phone and my PC.

From my phone I have no issue whatsoever. However, when in my PC I disconnect the bluetooth device or disable bluetooth, most of the times I am unable to use bluetooth again at all. The bluetooth window in the System settings just freezes and doesn't list any device, no matter how long I wait. Sometimes after a number of minutes I get the message "No Bluetooth Found - Plug in a dongle to use Bluetooth".

Restarting the bluetooth service (sudo service bluetooth restart) doesn't do anything.

This behaviour persist until I restart my PC. But I cannot keep restarting my PC the whole time...

Is there a way to debug what the issue may be? I would like to be able to switch bluetooth on and off, and connect and disconnect devices.

Beans

Re: Unreliable bluetooth connectivity

I'm having similar issues. Ubuntu 19.04, latest kernel, etc. After using my keyboard a while, it will freeze up. Restarting services, etc., don't help -- the only fix I've found is to completely restart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello bmlzootown-j, please start your own thread instead of posting in someone else's, it gets confusing trying to help more then one person in a thread.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To be honest, I had forgotten about this issue, so feel free to take over the thread. Due to this unreliability, I have just stopped using bluetooth devices with my PC. I only use them with my phone, where it works perfectly all the time.