Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boot up trouble

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Boot up trouble

Grub can read ISO images from harddisk, and boot them. Thus no need for USB stick or whatever to install or start a Linux distro for debugging. You can save the ISO image of any of such Linux distro into a partition Grub can read and add an entry for this ISO. An example Grub menu entry you can add into your /boot/grub/grub.cfg:
    Code:
    menuentry "Some Ubuntu ISO" {
            set isofile="/<directory>/Ubuntu.iso"
            loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile
            linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
            initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
    }
    The menu entry above assumes that your ISO is located in /dev/sda5 ( hd0,5 ). You can change this according to your wishes.

The example is from here.

With loopback loop command above, you can even look inside of an ISO interactively in Grub interactive prompt.
    Computer: Dell Latitude E7440 (since December 2017); CPU: Intel Core i7-4600U, 2 cores, 4 threads; HDD: 256 GB SSD; RAM: 8 GB DDR3L; Graphics: Intel HD 4400 (integrated in the CPU)
    Registered Linux User #454206

Beans

The ISO I downloaded was from https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads.

I went the CLI route with Disk Repair and got this:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/5YrM6dxrms/

url.

VERY much looking forward to this remedying the issue.

Thanks & best

Allan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You are showing Mint in sda1 and unknown in sda6.
    Was sda6 your missing install?

It is not even showing as ext4 which you probably have to fix first.

To see all the ext4 partitions
    sudo parted -l
    #From liveDVD/Flash so everything is unmounted,swap off if necessary, change example shown with partition sdb1 to your partition(s)
    #e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems. -p tries fixes where response not required
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1
    # -y auto answers yes for fixes needing response, also see man e2fsck
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1

You may be able to use Disks or command line to set partition as ext4, you do not want to format it as that will erase it.

sudo fdisk /dev/sda
    Command (m for help): t
    Partition number (1-5): 1
    Hex code (type L to list codes): 83
    Command (m for help): w

Use m command as I now see man fdisk has w as wipe but using fdisk and w command still shows w as write. May depend on whether old fdisk or newer fdisk (with gpt support).
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for your response.

Alas most of this is way beyond my ken ...

Sorry but I didn't know that I had a missing install. Install of what? And how would I have known?

I think you want me to issue the following commands:

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    but I don't know what I am going to do with the output

2. [CODE]]sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1[/CODE

or?

Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1
    If this IS a choice, does it matter what I choose? And (alas) again, what is the result? Output? The fix(es) is made? ...

Finally for

Code:
    sudo fdisk /dev/sda
    Partition number (1-5): 1
    I guess I know what to do with "sudo .." but not with the following four lines. Are they responses? Options? ...?

I think you are offering these as ways to (potentially) get a working computer.

Actually, I would be happy if I could just get access to the HD and copy the files.

Apologies for my noob-ness and thanks again.

Allan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you are a noob, stick with the normal, desktop, downloads. Most of the issues seem self-inflicted because you happen to choose a non-GUI ISO when there are 8 GUI ISO installs which would have let you "Try Ubuntu" and been done getting data.

You can get the data using a non-GUI install, but when you are new and not good at knowing the processes to make partitions available, it is very hard on our end to help.

IMHO, the alternate installer is to be avoided unless you are an expert. It is designed for special situations, usually due to hardware problems. Even the "Server" installer has a recovery mode that will automatically access prior storage and let you run shell commands to copy off files/directories and do lots of storage management things. I'm a server guy, but I use the Ubuntu-Mate ISO file when I need to rescue a system that is having boot issues. See the link above, already provided. Is there a reason you are avoiding that solution?
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Days Ago at 06:24 PM.

Beans

I didn't intentionally choose a non GUI install. And if the "url above' (of which there are many) you are referring to is https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads then, as I said, that is where I downloaded the file from.

If that isn't the url that you are referring to, perhaps you could identify the one in question.

And perhaps you would also be kind enough to share with me (another?) url, of the 8 that you referred to, where I could download a GUI install and hopefully deal with this problem.

TIA

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is the standard desktop installer.
    Also link on how to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive, using Windows or Ubuntu, Min hardware requirements
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Each of the commands I posted were examples, but you have to use your partition that has issues.

From Boot-Repair report, this says sda6 has issues, and you only show Mint or did you only have Mint installed, Mint is not Ubuntu? See line 36 in report.
    Code:
    sda6: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       
        Boot sector type:  Unknown
        Boot sector info: 
        Mounting failed:   mount: unknown filesystem type ''
    I changed this example to 6 for your partition to then have a known type:

sudo fdisk /dev/sda
    Partition number (1-6): 6

Then you may need repairs:
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sda6
    # -y auto answers yes for fixes needing response, also see man e2fsck
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda6

If it does not then boot, run Boot-Repair again.
    If still the 14.04 install which is now obsolete, Boot-Repair may not be able to fix it as repository is closed. LTS versions like 14.04 have 5 years of life and need to be updated before they expire.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Sorry I had another emergency I had to deal with.

Finally ran fdisk, ending up with:

Re-reading the partition table failed.: Device or resource busy.

Followed by:

The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at the next re-boot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8).

Perhaps this is the expected result and I should just re-boot and see what happens. Or perhaps evidence of another problem. Or perhaps I should be running partprobe or kpartx ...

Thought it best to err on the side of caution and hope for further guidance.

All of that said, if I did run Mint on the machine ... and I suppose I must have ... it was years ago and it (the machine) ran fine up until this week making me wonder if Mint is part of the problem.

Anyway I hope you have the patience to continue your much appreciated hand holding.

Allan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think I know the answer to this question, but I have to ask it anyway: Do you have a good, recent backup of your personal data? If you do, life gets much simpler.
    Last edited by rbmorse; 3 Days Ago at 02:50 PM.
    regards

Beans

Not sure what you mean by "personal data" but I have a back up of supposedly "everything" from about 3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, VERY unfortunately, there's been a whole lot of activity since then. That I am REALLY loathe to lose. Don't care too much about the machine but I need to keep the files.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast