Thread: /meda/drive_name???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

/meda/drive_name???

When setting up mount points for drives in Ubuntu as of 10.04 do we still use /media or do we use /dev or something else?
    “If we use fuel to get our power, we are living on our capital and exhausting it rapidly. This method is barbarous and wantonly wasteful....” Nikola Tesla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: /meda/drive_name???

This --link-- from askubuntu.com should answer your question and includes links to further information as to why the change to /media/$USER/ from /media/ was made. Apparently the changes were made in Quantal 12.10 when udisks2 was introduced.

Basically the normal usage in Ubuntu is now /media/$USER/<drive-name>.
    ...Ubuntu as of 10.04...
    Is that a typo? Do you mean 18.04 or 19.04 there? Lucid 10.04 is a very long dead, end-of-life, release.

Regards, yeti.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It was a typo, 19.04...

So when installing and setting up a Storage drive instead of mounting it as /media/Storage it would be /media/$USER/Storage... Maybe, (hopefully) that's why I can't get it to boot when the instal is done.
    “If we use fuel to get our power, we are living on our capital and exhausting it rapidly. This method is barbarous and wantonly wasteful....” Nikola Tesla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDancer View Post
    ...So when installing and setting up a Storage drive instead of mounting it as /media/Storage it would be /media/$USER/Storage... Maybe, (hopefully) that's why I can't get it to boot when the instal is done.
    I usually manually mount to /media/$USER/Storage just to maintain consistency with what is automatically mounted by the system, I think it is still possible to use /media/Storage for manual mounts, though have never really tried it myself. I can't see offhand why doing such a mount would stop the boot process though .