Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed Ubuntu now I'm bored...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installed Ubuntu now I'm bored...

Yes -- Ubuntu is boring -- which is a good thing most of the time -- unless you want to tinker. Arch Linux which I've installed many times is difficult the first couple of times you do it -- but once you've done it a few times it doesn't take more than 30 minutes to get up and running -- and then you're stuck at the same point -- boredom. (Well maybe you'll need to troubleshoot a few things b/c of hardware issues, but once up and running you're at the same point). At this point I'd probably play with ZFS (as mentioned above) or go explore either FreeBSD or FreeNAS which utilizes ZFS. If playing with file systems isn't your thing, you could play with virtualization. Install proxmox (which is a Debian Based hypervisor) and then install Ubuntu/Arch/FreeNAS/pfSense as a VM within proxmox. So many things you could try --

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

What's wrong with boring?

Is it supposed to be difficult or give you a headache or endless frustrations that seemingly simple tasks cannot be accomplished without jumping through multiple hoops only to discover that the only way to deal with it is a registry hack or having the source code (referring to Windows of course)?

The first time I tried Linux was back in 2005 with a Knoppix LiveCD. And that had its challenges back then with manually configuring networks etc.

Boring is a chance to learn the inner workings of the new system you are trying out.

Start reading, start exploring, try running terminal commands, even mess things up just to try fixing them and then reinstall just so you know you can do it.

I don't call that boring at all and I have been doing just that for the past 14 years since that first Knoppix adventure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Boring is a chance to learn the inner workings of the new system you are trying out.
    Spot on^^
    Gnome3, systemd, lvm, rolling my own to name a few. I been running Ubuntu since 2008 and my todo list just keeps growing. Pass couple of days have been spent playing around with browser security packs. No way for me to get bored

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I know of one great time-eater (I won't say time-waster). Have you set up a conky on your system yet? There is more than enough in the way of options to keep you busy for good long time - and you don't bork your whole system if(when) it doesn't work right away for you!

Just a passing thought... and there are a couple of threads (here in the Cafe for one, and in General Help for another) with in excess of 20,000 posts to wander through to see what can be done.

Freebird
    Last edited by freebird54; 1 Week Ago at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo
    |Intel E6550 2.33 | Intel mb/gfx/snd | 4 Gb RAM | Seagate 500Gb | 64 Gb SSD|24" LCD |16.04/18.04 | AMD A10 5800K 3.8GHz / ATI gfx| Asus A88X-Pro mb/snd | 8 Gb RAM | Corsair Force 128 Gb SSD | Seagate 3+2TB | USB 2TB | Sony 40" | Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 |

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by freebird54 View Post
    I know of one great time-eater (I won't say time-waster). Have you set up a conky on your system yet? There is more than enough in the way of options to keep you busy for good long time - and you don't bork your whole system if(when) it doesn't work right away for you!

Just a passing thought... and there are a couple of threads (here in the Cafe for one, and in General Help for another) with in excess of 20,000 posts to wander through to see what can be done.

Freebird

Oh, how right you are!!!!

Conky can become great toy or a huge frustration, and if you want to use up spare time install it and start playing; it's never boring!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Bored? Really?
    How are your backups? Did you fully test the restore?
    If the HDD started smoking right now, what would you do?

Beans

I guess tweaking out a system is not as popular as it use to be. The tweaking for me never stops, always something else out there to try.

Thinking about changing out the Host to just a basic install (virtual server install) on my lappy. Have it boot straight to a guest system. My everyday programs run just as fast as the host, there are exceptions in performance, but no deal breakers. I think this would be a huge security improvement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    I guess tweaking out a system is not as popular as it use to be. The tweaking for me never stops, always something else out there to try.

Thinking about changing out the Host to just a basic install (virtual server install) on my lappy. Have it boot straight to a guest system. My everyday programs run just as fast as the host, there are exceptions in performance, but no deal breakers. I think this would be a huge security improvement.
    I did the same on my desktop and my main stuff is run by a Xubuntu 18.04.2 Virtual Machine and that includes browsing,emails, torrents, WhatsApp and all office work.
    I run banking application and paypall in a separate Ubuntu 16.04.6 VM that is "powered on" say 1-2 hours/week. That VM is exclusively used for these two things.
    I have all VMs closed for inbound traffic and I have a separate VM for experiments.

My Host OS is a minimal install of Ubuntu 19.04. I used this version, because it works best with the Vega 8 graphics of my Ryzen 3 2200G. I decoupled the choice of OS, I can select the best OS for my HW, while still sticking for the applications to a LTS release.

I run all Virtualbox VMs from the ZFS file system. The HDDs are striped (Raid 0) and I use half of the 128 GB SSD as cache for the HDDs and I have a 4 GB memory cache. On top of that I use LZ4 compression to reduce the number of disk IOs. A nice 3 level storage hierarchy almost like StoreMI on a Linux system. Response times in the VMs are instantaneous, because of the caching. Memory cache hit rates are 93%. Linux boot times times are in between 10 and 20 seconds, after the SSD cache has been filled. Reboot times are in between 6 and 10 seconds due to the memory cache.

I use the same set up on my i5 2520M laptop with 8 GB and a 1 TB SSHD. Compression really improves the performance of the SS part of the SSHD. I use exactly the same VMs on laptop and desktop.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; 6 Days Ago at 10:46 PM.

Beans

Install DOS Box and play some old games, or Super Tux Kart!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I get bored with the computer, I pick up a book. Sometimes it surprises me.
    regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast