Thread: Which desktop component/notebook brands have good compatibility with Ubuntu?

Beans

Which desktop component/notebook brands have good compatibility with Ubuntu?

I know there wouldn't be a perfect answer, any idea from your experience?

Beans

Re: Which desktop component/notebook brands have good compatibility with Ubuntu?

I find it better to look at the nuts and bolts first and then the paint job.

CPU, RAM, graphics, WiFi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Which desktop component/notebook brands have good compatibility with Ubuntu?

You can look here. Select brands on the left side.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:12 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Dell. I had an Inspiron 7537 I recently sold. Never had a lick of trouble with linux that wasn't of my own making.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can get Linux pre-installed from these companies. You know the components are linux-compatable if it has been pre-installed.
    https://system76.com/
    http://zareason.com/

There are probably others, but these are the two that came to mind.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

You can also include the Dell Precision T3500 workstaion. It runs ubuntu and kubuntu. I am running kubuntu 18.04 LTS. No problems what so ever. I also have linux mint 17 i think it is , maybe it is 16 i forget , on a optiplex 960 mini Tower.

If you get a dell desktop if possible you should get the mini tower version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you roughly know the type of motherboard, CPU, ram, video card, hard drive, etc that you want, find a local shop that can build you a PC without an OS. Then install the OS the way you want it. You'll probably save money and have a local contact to go to for hardware warranty repairs (if needed) rather than having to ship your machine to who knows where.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden View Post
    If you roughly know the type of motherboard, CPU, ram, video card, hard drive, etc that you want, find a local shop that can build you a PC without an OS. Then install the OS the way you want it. You'll probably save money and have a local contact to go to for hardware warranty repairs (if needed) rather than having to ship your machine to who knows where.
    Buy components and build it would be the easy part.