Thread: Restore audio function in (now) Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

Beans

Restore audio function in (now) Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

Hi, I had an audio problem with my Acer netbook when I was running Xubuntu 16.04, I tried to fix it using internet posts and ended up with no sound output at all.

Everything else works, and I didn't need sound then, so I gave up and left it the way it was. Then the update came along for 18.04, so I installed that, thinking it might put it right - it didn't. Now I have some time and I want to use the netbook for usb voice chat while gaming so it would be useful to have sound if possible. I know there's the "Nuclear option" to re-install from scratch, but I've personalised this install so much that I'd really rather not do that unless I absolutely have to.

I started with this thread https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting, and it seemed promising until I pasted in the command "sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2" to refresh/reinstall the drivers, at which time the terminal gave me the error "sudo: aptitude: command not found" and having no idea what to do next, I decided to post here.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions/help you can provide, I look forward to voice chat soon - Derek

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Restore audio function in (now) Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

aptitude is a command-line package manager, but it's not installed by default. You can install it with
    Code:
    sudo apt install aptitude
    or use apt instead.

Beans

Re: Restore audio function in (now) Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

Thanks for that, I installed Aptitude and ran the command again, that gave me a different collection of errors.
    Fortunately I have a backup, so I've re-installed - Problem solved.