Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying 18.04.1 and PS/2 keyboard does not work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Trying 18.04.1 and PS/2 keyboard does not work

I may have found the solution on the internet though. Recent versions may require the following additional boot options in order to work with my computer.

i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset

I don't know exactly what they do and I don't have time to test by a process of elimination whether they are both required or if not which one is required.

I have made the changes permanently (i.e. edit /etc/default/grub and update-grub) and the keyboard seems to work reliably from a cold boot. However the changes are only on the external drive at this stage. So I now need to do the upgrade that I originally wanted to do, make those changes (using any temporary workaround technique to get a working keyboard) and then try a cold boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Newbunto; Hey hey !

Making progress ! It is an Xorg thingy -
    Maybe time to submit a bug report ? Once you know the more.

making things the better
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Boot it with the problematic ISO again. Mark the location of /var/log/syslog of that session (which harddrive etc)
    Boot it now with a working ISO. Copy the /var/log/syslog from the problematic ISO and paste it here.
    Then we can take a look in a more detail.
    Computer: Dell Latitude E7440 (since December 2017); CPU: Intel Core i7-4600U, 2 cores, 4 threads; HDD: 256 GB SSD; RAM: 8 GB DDR3L; Graphics: Intel HD 4400 (integrated in the CPU)
    Registered Linux User #454206

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by pencuse View Post
    Boot it with the problematic ISO again.
    I wish I could. The problem has gone away now. In my original post, you can see that I tried 4 different recent LiveBoot Ubuntu versions that did not work. Now they are working. All I can say is that if the problem comes back, I will be sure to grab a copy of syslog and post relevant parts of it here.

In the meantime I had already gone ahead with the upgrade. So the internal disk is now running 18.04.2 and, with no workaround applied, the PS/2 keyboard is working.

I am as confused as ever but unless and until the problem comes back I think we will have to leave it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12