Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My plans for Linux

Beans

Cool My plans for Linux

The following are Linux flavors I am planning on downloading and installing.

Ubuntu (i'm already using this one)
    Arch Linux
    Debian
    openSUSE
    Linux Mint

There is rhyme and reason why I am doing this.

I provide software support for proprietary software application. Many of the users have been wanting the application on their Linux systems. So I will be testing our software on the ones I have listed above.

I have started with Ubuntu using VirtualBoxes of Windows XP, 7 and 10. Now I am moving to Wine and the other available linux apps that provide windows execution.

Ubuntu will be my primary OS. The others will be simple default setups just for testing purposes. I'm not planning on becoming an expert in these flavors (maybe Ubuntu lol).

Are there any linux distros that might be good to consider? I won't be able to do all of them but I want to keep relevant ones available.

No, I did not mention any Apple products. That platform is not in my budget unless someone wants to give me one.

I welcome all comments.

Thanks

Buddy

Beans

Re: My plans for Linux

Thinking a Fedora/CentOS/Redhat version, after testing Ubuntu/Debian and Arch. Mint should only be needed to make sure it works, since based on Ubuntu. Think they are the big three platforms that most others are based on.

Beans

Thanks for sharing. I'll add them to my second phase of todos.

Didn't Redhat switch to a paid version a few years ago?

Buddy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

yes you need to pay for redhat. however centos is built from redhat source libraries and fedora is redhat testing version (or more like releases between the LTS).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Buddy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

You might want to also look into Slackware and Gentoo for something more, let's say, different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not in the I.T. biz but I think the U.S. corporate world is more likely to run Red Hat if they run any sort of Linux. So yeah, that would be one to consider, well CentOS due to price.

Beans

Thanks. I made notes for future reference when I get to these.

i was doing more reading on Wine HQ site and during some Googling I came across these.

PlayOnLinux -free (based on Wine)
    CrossOver -paid (based on Wine)
    Lutris

Are these worth considering at some point? CrossOver just because they provide support for WineHQ and the app may be more stable. I did watch a few videos of Lutris and I was impressed by the way it sets up the environment. I realize gamers are using it mostly but could business apps benefit...I don't know.

As I develop my testing process I don't want to miss a good thing or waste my time on the wrong rabbit trail.

Thanks for any comments.

Buddy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You need to target the Linux versions that your clients use. I wouldn't try to target all, since each additional OS brings additional support costs.
    You didn't say - is this a server product or desktop product? Below, I assume servers.
    The industry also matters. Financial people will use RHEL - about 90% of the time.
    Cloudy companies will use CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu, except the huge cloudy people who will have 100% custom linux versions.

CentOS - that covers RHEL of the same version. You need v7 and v8 now.
    Debian Stable, whatever that is.

All the others are "also ran" especially if you aren't creating a native application. My business won't touch WINE solutions. We'll go with a native competitor or install it on Windows and remotely access it. WINE is just too much hassle and breaks too often.

Very few businesses will ever have Arch for any servers. Arch is a developer distro, not business. More businesses will have SUSE Enterprise than Arch and Gentoo and Slackware combined.

My company uses Ubuntu Server primarily. We don't dictate which client OS our people run. We are very different from most companies.

Beans

The product I provide support for is a programming platform. It's built with C# and .Net and we also have APIs in the product whereby Python routines can be pulled in. There are some businesses that use it but the bulk of our user community are independent people carving out a business for themselves as well as the few Blackhatters abusing the product.

For the most part, it runs great on Windows but not every computer is like the one next to it. What we have found, in some limited testing, is that once Mac users configure their system correctly they have fewer issues since they are running on Parallels within their OS. In a couple of User instances they have overcome their Windows issues by running Linux using Wine. Unfortunately, they won't share what they did for fear their unique system will be compromised for whatever reason.

So for now, we are targeting this potential solution for us to our main stream users that don't have a huge hardware budget.

I would share the product's name here but my purpose is to not get more sales. I'm not a sales guy or even an affiliate person. I'm just a 61+ year old computer geek keeping my sideline job (easy monthly money) relevant within this industry.

Thanks

Buddy
    Last edited by ubotbuddy; 1 Week Ago at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast