Thread: Unable to Update Windows 10-DUAL BOOT UBUNTU 18.04LTS

Beans

Unable to Update Windows 10-DUAL BOOT UBUNTU 18.04LTS

I recently dual booted my Laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. It came with a pre-installed windows 10.
    Recently when a update came for windows 10, i wasn`t able to update it.
    Everytime i restarted the laptop, the WINDOWS showed the error message : Couldn`t update windows, Undoing All changes, it would restart few times with same error message and finally windows will open(unupdated).
    I believe this might have something to do with the dual boot maybe the GRUB menu in which the first option is ubuntu and the second one is windows.
    i surfed the net for possible solutions but wasnt able to find any.

Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Unable to Update Windows 10-DUAL BOOT UBUNTU 18.04LTS

There's no reason to think it had anything to do with Grub. That's just the way Windows Update works.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

after surfing the net, i found out a lot of people with dual boot had this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by exter14 View Post
    after surfing the net, i found out a lot of people with dual boot had this problem.
    And a lot of people without dual boot have that problem. A vast number of people use Windows, and Windows' update mechanism is notoriously sketchy.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 w/CatKiller. I believe the problem is Windows.

Beans

The two ways I deal with win10:

#1 - With two drives you can BIOS boot either drive and windows cannot mess with the offline linux drive.

#2 - Run linux inside windows in a virtual machine.

This keeps me out of trouble with window updates so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Over the years I've come to sort of the same conclusion as Cruiser. Windows really needs to be on it's own physical (or virtual) drive.

I disconnect the Windows drive when installing a Linux distribution because some distros, like Ubuntu, insist on installing the boot loader to the Window's ESP even when you tell the installer to not do that. Once the Linux installation is complete you can reconnect the Windows drive and either use the BIOS/UEFI to select the boot device at startup, or boot into the Linux installation and run update-grub to add Windows to the Grub Boot selector menu.

If you do the later and Windows subsequently chokes on an update, you can use the BIOS/UEFI setup to boot directly from the Windows ESP (takes GRUB out of the equation) and try again, but this works only if the Linux boot loader is not installed in the Windows ESP. Usually, if Windows has to update the ESP it simply overwrites the entire thing (why GRUB sometimes disappears after a Windows update) but on occasion it introduces some temporary variables into the boot sequence and the presence of a Linux bootloader confuses it to death (I believe that's what happened to the OP).

Windows 10 also runs fine as a virtual machine on a Linux host. That's what I do these days, but I don't play games written for Windows. You need a fairly robust host machine (16GB or so of installed RAM is a BIG help). I use the (no cost for non-commercial use) VMWare Player as my VM manager, but any of the popular native Linux VM managers will handle a Windows VM.
    regards

Beans

When you were doing your update on windows and it forced a reboot, did you not have the option to select windows from the boot menu? Simple solution I would think would be to set windows as the default in Grub before doing your update since windows usually needs to do multiple reboots during major upgrades. It will probably also turn fastboot/hibernation on again.