Thread: Steam/proton issue, game works, but launch fails after usage

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Steam/proton issue, game works, but launch fails after usage

I was looking at getting a new game for the 1st time in over 5 years and i wanted to see how well steam would work
    I happen to have a couple games on steam from when i got a Phenom II 965
    Anyway i never played it as it would not run on Linux and i do not want to deal with windows
    but anyway i installed Darksiders Warmasterd Edition
    enabled proton 4 for unsupported tittles, and it open and runs just fine, just wish i had a FPS counter... (edit found a option for that in steam, idk if it works)
    so i played the game and stopped a few times and then when i open it it will not start, the only thing i have found to make it work again is the delete all steam folders in my home directory ~/.steam & ~/.local/share/Steam
    It will say the game is running when it is not
    and downloading a 20GB game over and over sucks, let alone how big modern games are
    i tried not deleting the game and only the games cache and that almost worked, but the game will not get past the loading screen if i do that
    Any idea what files i can delete when this happens and re-download everything from scratch?
    xubuntu 18.04 64bit; CPU - i5-4690k; GPU; GTX 1060 3GB;Nvidia driver 418.56
    extra software sources:

*multiverse and restricted repos are active
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Steam/proton issue, game works, but launch fails after usage

Simply verifying the files from within Steam may well do it, and be less brutal.

Proton's per-game Wine prefixes are in ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/, and the game files are in ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I tried verifying, it solves nothing
    i played it a while after making this post, here is the log file
    after exiting it still says it is running, here is the games log file:
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/87yM99YK2X/
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, Proton is just Wine with DXVK. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

There are lots of reports in the ProtonDB you linked of issues with the videos - which is reflected in your log - and a whole bunch that say it didn't work at all for those users.

Games not exiting cleanly is relatively common with Windows games through Proton. Deus Ex: Human Revolution does the same for me. I just kill the process in that case. Sometimes a restart of the machine helps.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

I noticed something yesterday. When I played or messed around trying to run Fallout 4 correctly yesterday I noticed even though I exited out of the game, it would still be running. I got POP!_OS so I went in the system monitor and stopped the process attached to the game (fallout 4 in this case), then restarted the game through steam and it worked correctly.