Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello everyone. Need some advice please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Hello everyone. Need some advice please.

As someone who got sick of the malware magnet from Microsoft, I've been a Linux user for 9 years.

When I set up a new disk, I make a / partition no larger than 64GB, and I have had no problems creating a / partition of 32GB.

The rest I format and mount as /home. Then, installations are quick, with no need to copy everything from a backup, since /home is already mounted.

If you select "Something Else" when the installation screen comes up, you'll be able to create the partitions easily.

Here's how: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3567...your-linux-pc/.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    But to be on the safe side, don't use Linux to write to the C partition. It's easy to damage Windows. Mount it read-only, if you mount it at all. Writing to the D partition is safe.
    Yes, that's a sensible precaution.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

If its for general usage and gaming, I highly suggest sticking with Windows. Its should be your best option. Now if you want to restore it or you got a damaged copy, harddrive or installation, head over to the ms windows forum as you'll find geeks that will help you. This part can be very difficult. I've done it myself and sometimes its not easy.

If you want to dual boot, just use whatever partition for WIndows and leave unlocated space left for your Ubuntu. During the installation, Ubuntu should pick up the left space untouched and install itself there. But you'll have to fiddle with your boot loader for the dual boot to work though. Just be careful since if you ever want to use WIndows 10, those updates might mess with your MBR or boot loader and create a nightmare.

If youre experienced with Ubuntu or linux, sure go ahead with it or dualboot but if your a noob or a new guy and barely know about Ubuntu or linux, I don't think dual boot would be a good idea as if something happens (with Windows, something always happens lol) well wind might just break it.

Beans

Sounds like windows is your primary. That is the way my computers are oriented. I have a 24G slice of my harddisk for ubuntu, but I automount the ExtFat drive of my windows partition, so I never really run out of room on the ubuntu side of things... Windows... that's a different story. I could buy a 500TB of space and windows would find a way to consume it.
    Last edited by QIII; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:01 AM. Reason: Corrected typo --> Windows

Beans

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry for the delayed response back. I been trying to set things up on the OS. I ended up having to use one partition for it anyway. I didn't realize mbr only limits you to 4 so I was already at my limit for it. For some reason I have two system reserve partitions along with the Windows 10 partition and the remaining one I used for Ubuntu. I actually do like the boot loader as it essentially has Ubuntu at the top of the list which on this drive I'd mainly be logging in to it anyway.

One thing I noticed that struck me as odd and not sure when this changed, but the partitions no longer have drive letters assigned to them when I loaded in Hirens boot disk to work on my original Windows 7 disk. Even the system partitions that normally don't have letters get assigned letters when I load up that disk normally. So I am wondering should I be concerned? Is that normal that it does that?

My original game plan was to just swap the boot order of the drive depending on the os I wanted to use, but not sure if assigning a drive letter to it will mess something up or not when I am in my Windows 7 hard drive. If it's best I leave it with out a letter then I was wondering if is there a program I can use if I want to transfer data to it from the Windows OS while logged in to that? I also wanted to know if it is safe to enable that drive as the secondary to access files or will it remove the drive letter and make the hard drive unbootable?

Other thing I wanted to know is do I need to manually look for lack of a better term drivers for my video card and other things on Ubuntu? I was under the impression the install set all that up since I am using an AMD Radeon HD 5450 card and I only needed to worry with it if I was using a nVidia card, but when I tried to test out OBS my pc shut down and started back up every time I tried to use that program.

I think that is so far the only questions I have currently for the moment. Over all from the testing I have done I have to actually say the OS is impressive. The menu did make me think of Windows 8.1 not gonna lie or scrolling apps on a phone, but over all I found it to be a very fast and smooth running OS. I did notice some improvements compared to Windows which I like. Not having to be as cautious or concerned about malware and stuff is also a big bonus for me.

I did do a stress test using a mmo game/social platform called Second Life I checked out a while back with the Firestorm viewer and it seemed to run actually fairly well compared to running it on a Windows platform. That actually took some set up to get it to function decently as it should. Only issue I had with it really was not being able to get certain media to play. I tried almost every fix I could for that to no avail. If anyone knows a fix for that please let me know. Thanks.

I did try to test out 7 Days To Die, but it gave a Kernel 'KEyeHistogram' not found error in the game. So far Ubuntu users have had this issue with the A17 version of that game. If anyone's worked out a fix for that let me know that too please. Thanks.

I'll probably try and test out Ark Survival Evolved next since there is a Linux version for that. Hopefully that test will go well.

Oh I did notice I had to reinstall GParted because it was not on the installed version of the OS. Are there any other programs on the Live version disk besides that that does install I need to grab up manually or is that the only program?

Anyway thanks for all the help everyone. I really do appreciate it mates.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by koollaydtac View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry for the delayed response back. I been trying to set things up on the OS. I ended up having to use one partition for it anyway. I didn't realize mbr only limits you to 4 so I was already at my limit for it. For some reason I have two system reserve partitions along with the Windows 10 partition and the remaining one I used for Ubuntu. I actually do like the boot loader as it essentially has Ubuntu at the top of the list which on this drive I'd mainly be logging in to it anyway.
    There's a limit of 4 primary partitions, but you can make one of those primary partitions an extended partition, with as many logical partitions as you want inside.

Other thing I wanted to know is do I need to manually look for lack of a better term drivers for my video card and other things on Ubuntu? I was under the impression the install set all that up since I am using an AMD Radeon HD 5450 card and I only needed to worry with it if I was using a nVidia card, but when I tried to test out OBS my pc shut down and started back up every time I tried to use that program.
    No. Most drivers are built-in. If you need any proprietary drivers, there's a utility that helps you select, download and install the driver. You don't have to look for one manually.

Oh I did notice I had to reinstall GParted because it was not on the installed version of the OS. Are there any other programs on the Live version disk besides that that does install I need to grab up manually or is that the only program?
    Gparted is not installed by default because it's rarely needed. You only need it to partition external drives, something most people rarely do. Gparted is included on the live disk, because one of the main reasons why people use the live disk is to partition the internal hard drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Microsoft confuses drives & partitions.
    With Windows you have a d: drive. That can be a second partition on first drive or the first partition on a second drive.

With Linux drives & partitions are clearly separated.
    The drives all are sda, sdb, sdc etc. Newer systems may have NVMe drives or very lightweight systems may have MMC devices as only drive.
    Partitions then are numbers after the drive or sda1 is first partition on first drive, sdb3 is third partition on second drive.

Often best to set Windows system partition as read only. Back when I was a Windows user I would turn on the settings to see the hidden files & extensions. But often in clicking and moving mouse would move an essential folder to another (incorrect) place and totally break Windows. With Linux the hidden files & folders are always shown, so user error is a possibility.

You can then create another NTFS partition for shared data and use it as read/write from both systems.
    Newer Windows 8 & 10 have made that a bit more difficult as they use fast start up which is a form of hibernation and sets hibernation flag. Linux NTFS driver will not auto mount nor write into hibernated NTFS partitions to prevent damage. So newer Windows must have fast start up setting off.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

There's a limit of 4 primary partitions, but you can make one of those primary partitions an extended partition, with as many logical partitions as you want inside.
    Ok I am gonna have to do some serious reading on that then. I wasn't aware of that.

No. Most drivers are built-in. If you need any proprietary drivers, there's a utility that helps you select, download and install the driver. You don't have to look for one manually.
    Ok I hadn't come across the utility yet for it, but considering I was using an AMD card I figured I was covered during the set up, but wanted to be sure.

Gparted is not installed by default because it's rarely needed. You only need it to partition external drives, something most people rarely do. Gparted is included on the live disk, because one of the main reasons why people use the live disk is to partition the internal hard drive.
    That makes sense. I mostly use partition programs for other drives connected to my pc which was really the only reason I was curious about it or any other differences between the live disk and the OS installed. Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Microsoft confuses drives & partitions.
    With Windows you have a d: drive. That can be a second partition on first drive or the first partition on a second drive.

With Linux drives & partitions are clearly separated.
    The drives all are sda, sdb, sdc etc. Newer systems may have NVMe drives or very lightweight systems may have MMC devices as only drive.
    Partitions then are numbers after the drive or sda1 is first partition on first drive, sdb3 is third partition on second drive.

Often best to set Windows system partition as read only. Back when I was a Windows user I would turn on the settings to see the hidden files & extensions. But often in clicking and moving mouse would move an essential folder to another (incorrect) place and totally break Windows. With Linux the hidden files & folders are always shown, so user error is a possibility.

You can then create another NTFS partition for shared data and use it as read/write from both systems.
    Newer Windows 8 & 10 have made that a bit more difficult as they use fast start up which is a form of hibernation and sets hibernation flag. Linux NTFS driver will not auto mount nor write into hibernated NTFS partitions to prevent damage. So newer Windows must have fast start up setting off.
    I get what your saying, but I didn't think the hibernation feature would apply considering I don't use that copy of Windows 10 and haven't since I installed it. I only got it for DX12 games should I buy any in case I need it down the road in the future. This is what gets me though. I mounted and unmounted that partition of the drive while in Ubuntu and the next time I loaded in to Hirens Boot CD the drive letters showed back up mate. lol I got no clue what that's about, but I am wondering if I am going to have that same issue if my other hard drives are connected or if I only had with that one because it's a partition on the same drive I am using Ubuntu on?

As far as Windows 7 goes that's on a completely separate hard drive and I am trying to set it up to once I fix that OS to where all I got to do is just switch the boot order of the hard drives according to which OS I decide to run in. For the most part I don't plan on much file swapping between the OS'es and mainly want to keep them as separate as possible. That's why I gave myself 450 gigs on Ubuntu because I figured that was more then plenty for a few games to run on it and to do basic stuff on. All my competitive gaming has to be done on Windows due to anti-cheats only working on Windows and what not. Given that I actually been enjoying Ubuntu a lot it is looking more and more likely that I'll only be on Windows for competitive gaming only. Thanks mate.

Beans

Ok an update for anyone else who has this issue. I found out why 7 Days To Die was getting a error Kernel 'KEyeHistogram' not found as shown in this photo.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1772930326

From what I can tell the last supported official driver for Radeon is for Ubuntu 14.04 which you need to support OpenGL 4.4 for the card. The standard driver that comes with the current version 18.04 only supports OpenGL 3.3 sadly. Big thanks to the guys here in this thread for helping me work that one out.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...play-on-Ubuntu

I do have another issue that creeped up on me. I was in the middle of installing mod for Ark via Steam work shop and was having issues. So I decided to reboot. When I say reboot I actally mean I was trying to power off and was going to turn it back on manually. The reboot or shutdown rather hung for almost an hour on a line saying something to the effect of a boot process has started during shut shutdown and gave a time of 47 seconds to no limit. After about an hour I chanced it and hit the power button to restart. Now everytime I start I get a message saying system problem detected do you want to detect the problem now? I hit report and it goes away and nothing happens.

In the var and crash folder I have two files both created at earlier times from this issue, but they are _lib_systemd_systemd-journald.0.crash and _usr_share_discord_Discord.1000.crash which are the only files in there. Now Discord did crash earlier along with Steam and some other programs when I was having issues with Ark hence the reason for the reboot. However that was definitely before my attempt to power down. Any idea on what I should do about that or how to fix it?

Also a minor question. On the temperature sensors what's the difference in Average and Maximum and which one should I be paying more attention to? I ask this because Average is usually the temp I get when monitoring it in Windows and Maximum is generally between 10 to 20 degree higher sometimes. Anyway thanks in advance for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It's generally best to start a new thread with new problems, so that different people can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by koollaydtac View Post
    I do have another issue that creeped up on me. I was in the middle of installing mod for Ark via Steam work shop and was having issues. So I decided to reboot. When I say reboot I actally mean I was trying to power off and was going to turn it back on manually. The reboot or shutdown rather hung for almost an hour on a line saying something to the effect of a boot process has started during shut shutdown and gave a time of 47 seconds to no limit. After about an hour I chanced it and hit the power button to restart. Now everytime I start I get a message saying system problem detected do you want to detect the problem now? I hit report and it goes away and nothing happens.

In the var and crash folder I have two files both created at earlier times from this issue, but they are _lib_systemd_systemd-journald.0.crash and _usr_share_discord_Discord.1000.crash which are the only files in there. Now Discord did crash earlier along with Steam and some other programs when I was having issues with Ark hence the reason for the reboot. However that was definitely before my attempt to power down. Any idea on what I should do about that or how to fix it?
    I think it spams the message whenever it sees crash reports in /var/crash that haven't been uploaded. Since telling it to upload them hasn't stopped it, you might as well just delete the crash reports. Then it will stop spamming you. If you get new ones after that, you can deal with them then.

Also a minor question. On the temperature sensors what's the difference in Average and Maximum and which one should I be paying more attention to? I ask this because Average is usually the temp I get when monitoring it in Windows and Maximum is generally between 10 to 20 degree higher sometimes. Anyway thanks in advance for the help.
    As I understand it, the maximum value isn't generally the maximum value that it's read, but is the maximum value that the chip can read. Different chips will vary in what they display, of course.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12