Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-6bc02b1e\x2dccfb\x2d4079\x2db258\x2d

Beans

Re: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-6bc02b1e\x2dccfb\x2d4079\x2db258

A) Which option was that - I'll gladly add it I just don't know what you're referring to.
    B) I did; I removed the commented out mount points from an old server - there's two in there I may use at a future date. I also removed the line breaks
    C) What other advice did I ignore?
    D) Yes, it's still working but I was waiting until I heard back to see if I could optimize the process any further

I am absolutely interesting in knowing what I did wrong and how to fix it; please don't misunderstand my posts. I'm much stronger on the windows side of things but WANT to learn linux - I'm just not that great at it yet.

Thanks again for any help you can provide. It's much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-6bc02b1e\x2dccfb\x2d4079\x2db258

_netdev needs to be added to EVERY LINE that uses CIFS with all the other options.

The fstab is 1 line for 1 mount. There are no other sorts of lines in that file. The fstab has a manpage that explains the file format. man fstab to see it. The different options supported by each type of file system mount are explained in the manpage for those. man mount.cifs . The options listed in there work for fstab options and autofs options, although those config files place them in slightly different config files. Option order does not matter, but all options in all those config files must be together, comma separated, no spaces allowed between them.

Also, leave a blank line at the end of every config file on EVERY Unix system. This is because the programmer who wrote the parsing code may have only looked for EOL, not EOF. 1 extra line solves days of troubleshooting over stupid config files. Yes, it shouldn't matter, but ... why tempt fate? Complaining about it never changed any code and the time is still lost. 1 extra blank line.

Simplify - that means delete all the cifs lines except 1. Get that 1 working. Copy the file to somewhere else while you work on this -
    Code:
    cp /etc/fstab ~/
    is what I'd do to have a copy in my HOME.

I can't read your mind and you can't read mine. If you don't show the changes, How do I know what you've done?

But seriously, looks to me like you have 5x too many mounts for what you really need.

Code:
    # Server1 mounts, simplified
    //Server1/Music /mnt/Music cifs _netdev,user=User1,password=Pasword1,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.1 0 0
    //Server1/Videos /mnt/V1 cifs _netdev,user=User1,password=Pasword1,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.1 0 0

# Need to move teh pVideos somewhere outside Videos.
    //Server1/pVideos/DVR /mnt/DVR cifs _netdev,uid=plex,gid=plex,user=user3,password=Password3!,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.1 0 0

# Move all these from Server2/{whatever} ... into Server2/V2/{whatever}
    #   a single mount handles all of them now.
    //Server2/V2 /mnt/V2 cifs _netdev,user=User2,password=Password2,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.1  0  0
    Best to stop putting credentials into the fstab where **anyone** can read them. Use a credentials file for each server. It is an option, just like _netdev. Add it to each line with amount. You'll need at least 2 different files holding the credentials, perhaps 3. The manpage explains that format, but
    Code:
    $ sudo more win7lap-D.credentials 
    username=user1
    password=whatever-the-password-might-be
    The file location and permisssions should be such that only root can read it. So:
    Code:
    -rw------- 1 root root 31 Jan 17  2015 win7lap-D.credentials
    For many reasons, userids should be all lowercase, not mixed or upper. Probably can't fix that on Windows. I have no idea if it matters here or not.

Hopefully, those lines won't wrap in the post here.
    Last edited by TheFu; June 22nd, 2019 at 06:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12