Thread: Making The Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 GTX 1660 Ti Usuable

Beans

Making The Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 GTX 1660 Ti Usuable

I have recently purchased a Asus Zephyrus-G-GU502DU-GA502DU and I like it a lot

Pros-
    Ubuntu works with some workarounds
    Battery life is great
    GPU is great
    System is quiet-ish when gaming
    Screen is top of the line

Cons-

Keyboard back light does not work on any GNU/Linux and if it is enabled on windows the sound will have issues on all GNU/Linux platforms
    Keyboard special functions like back light controls and manual fan controls don't work
    System can go into sleep mode but cannot resume
    The system can get very hot
    It has no webcam (but does any real GNU/Linux user care about that?!)

Out of the box, The system has only one major issue and that is the Realtek WiFi Driver. Follow this post here for fix - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1071...n-ubuntu-18-04 But here is the Answer anyway
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall git dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    git clone https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce
    cd rtl8821ce
    chmod +x dkms-install.sh
    chmod +x dkms-remove.sh
    sudo ./dkms-install.sh

For the Kernel config. I suggest putting the following in the /etc/default/grub after the word splash
    Code:
     nouveau.modeset=0 tpm_tis.interrupts=0 acpi_osi=Linux i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 idle=nomwait
    You will need to install the Nvidia GPU driver the instructions change sometimes so I suggest doing a search on it. Once you follow the instructions and the driver as well as the xserver settings is installed go on to the next step.

Nvidia wont be the default video driver when OS is first installed. paste this in /etc/x11/xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "Module"
        Load "modesetting"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "1:0:0"
        Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
        Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
    EndSection

At the moment I am happy but I hope this posts gets to all people who want to use Linux on a Asus AMD gaming laptop. I am also hoping AMD and Nvidia continue to work on their open source (and maybe proprietary) drivers to grow support on the GNU/Linux Platform. The keyboard lighting thing may be hard to fix but the sleep and resume feature is most likely due to the AMD CPU and should be fixed in a (not so future) kernel update

If anyone has a NEW answer to fix the sleep issue and/or keyboard lighting issue please leave it in the comments with newbie like explanations and commands. (I want this to be accessible to everyone)
    Last edited by oldfred; August 6th, 2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Please use standard fonts.

Beans

Re: Making The Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 GTX 1660 Ti Usuable

Hi:

As you suggested, I look for a way to install the nvidia drivers on the laptop, the first step was to run the following command:
    ubuntu-drivers devices

in order to get device id. But in my device the command does not show any information at all.

Do you suggest to just run the following command:

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-418

Beans

update:
    installed the nvidia-driver-418, and the same seems to be installed fine, but nvidia-detector, still shows none as an output.
    Also the system is barely getting 2.30 hours of battery life. Any clues.. I am currently running ubuntu 19.04, kernel 5.0.0-23-generic.

Next step, trying to update the kernel to see if this solves anything or the machine explodes

Beans

update:
    installed the nvidia-driver-418, and the same seems to be installed fine, but nvidia-detector, still shows none as an output.
    Also the system is barely getting 2.30 hours of battery life. Any clues.. I am currently running ubuntu 19.04, kernel 5.0.0-23-generic.

Next step, trying to update the kernel to see if this solves anything or the machine explodes

Beans

Reply to test9900: Sorry IDK what to do about the nvidia issues. When i run Nvidia Detector it shows nothing. But if you run glxinfo |grep "OpenGL" it should show up. You CAN add Coolbit serrings in the xorg.conf to change fan and clock speeds. I have never tried it personally though arch wiki has good info on it but be careful and make backups!

UPDATE: Sleep now works! All you need to do is a BIOS update. downlad it from asus's support page and put it on a flash drive then use EZ Fash to put it into your BIOS. It works great and even comes with a cool power-on sound. Now all that's left is keyboard shortcuts + backlight!
    Last edited by oldfred; August 6th, 2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Please use standard fonts

Beans

I have the asus zephyrus ga502du-br7n6. It has the ryzen 7 with both amd and nvidia gpus.

One workaround to the keyboard backlight issue is to first boot into windows, leave the keyboard light on, the do a soft restart into ubuntu. The backlight stays on every time. If I shut down the laptop and then boot straight into Ubuntu, no backlight.

After doing some research on the issue, I believe the issue is a missing file called kbd_backlight. I am currently searching for a way to manually inject it, but I'm not a power user.

Beans

Kinda new to the hole forum stuff. Linux user for 9 years.
    I also have the asus zephyrus ga502du-br7n6 and the keyboard backlight is really being a problem. I have read over 20 different asus keyboard backlight forums and all where a bust. As far as I can figure out everything relies on
    asus::kbd_backlight. So lets try to summarize what I've done.

asus zephyrus ga502du-br7n6
    uefi ver. 208
    originally tried everything on pop os 19.04 kernel ver. 5.0-29something
    currently: kubuntu 19.10 kernel ver. 5.3.0.12 as of writing this

I added the grub options
    nouveau.modeset=0 tpm_tis.interrupts=0 acpi_osi=Linux i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 idle=nomwait and did the wifi successfully, but
    my display name is eDP-1 and I had to create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "1:0:0"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "eDP-1"
    EndSection

Then I
    ran $ sudo nvidia-xconfig
    and the end result of xorg.conf looks like this :

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 435.21

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "nvidia"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "eDP-1"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection

Ok so that seems better but don't try to play a 1080p 60fps youtube video in firefox or chrome It drops a heavy amount of frames, also I get a
    Desktop effects were restarted due to a graphics reset notification when the laptop is coming out of sleep

Ok so now let's just continue onto the keyboard.

$ xev does not detect the fn keys for keyboard backlight or display brightness.

$ sudo /etc/acpi/asus-keyboard-backlight.sh..........yup didn't work, no output in the terminal either.

$ sudo echo 3 > /sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/brightness
    bash: /sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/brightness: No such file or directory

$ ls /sys/devices/platform/asus-nb-wmi/leds/
    asus::lightbar

$ ls /sys/class/leds/
    asus::lightbar input26::kana input4::numlock input8::kana input9::compose
    asus-wireless::airplane input26::numlock input4::scrolllock input8::numlock input9::kana
    input26::capslock input26::scrolllock input8::capslock input8::scrolllock input9::numlock
    input26::compose input4::capslock input8::compose input9::capslock input9::scrolllock

asus::lightbar has a trigger file,
    here's what that shows:

[none] usb-gadget usb-host rfkill-any rfkill-none kbd-scrolllock kbd-numlock kbd-capslock kbd-kanalock kbd-shiftlock kbd-altgrlock kbd-ctrllock kbd-altlock kbd-shiftllock kbd-shiftrlock kbd-ctrlllock kbd-ctrlrlock AC0-online BAT0-charging-or-full BAT0-charging BAT0-full BAT0-charging-blink-full-solid disk-activity disk-read disk-write ide-disk mtd nand-disk cpu cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3 cpu4 cpu5 cpu6 cpu7 cpu8 cpu9 cpu10 cpu11 cpu12 cpu13 cpu14 cpu15 panic bluetooth-power hci0-power rfkill0 rfkill1 audio-mute audio-micmute r8169-400:00:link r8169-400:00:1Gbps r8169-400:00:100Mbps r8169-400:00:10Mbps hid-34:88:5d:3e:8b:57-battery-charging-or-full hid-34:88:5d:3e:8b:57-battery-charging hid-34:88:5d:3e:8b:57-battery-full hid-34:88:5d:3e:8b:57-battery-charging-blink-full-solid

I also tried github project Hummer12007/brightnessctl. It did not display anything for the keyboard either

Yup I'm lost, I would really like to see my keyboard
    , I'm possibly thinking something is needed in grub or xorg.
    Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by computerhavoc; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:35 PM.