Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desktop computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Desktop computer

But who doesn't have a case, PSU, HDD, keyboard, optical drive, NIC, mouse, monitor already? All that adds up to about $200.
    Every 5-10 yrs, I swap out my MB and CPU for about $200 total and reuse everything else I can. This last upgrade forced DDR4 onto me, so it was $150 more. But that was going to happen regardless.

The new system replaced 3 other machines here in performance. Electricity use has dropped $10-$15/month.

I've been doing this since being totally screwed over by multiple "pre-built" desktop systems from well known vendors. One of my clients have me a high-end CAD workstation from a well-know vendor. It was hot, noisy, and a dust magnet. It had a Raptor HDD, which was very noisy. Eventually, the GPU failed, which was fine, since I was using it to run about 15 virtual machines. I remember the day I turned that machine over to one of my business partners. The room wasn't as hot or noisy.

When you pick the components, you get to choose what's important to you, like being quiet. I don't go crazy and use liquid cooling. The stock Ryzen fans do fine. Plus, there isn't a huge month of spending to get a $900 desktop.

I suppose we will agree to disagree on this and for completely non-technical people, buying is probably the best choice. If you have never changed the oil in your car-types of people. OTOH, if you've installed a new HDD into a computer even once, then putting a MB+CPU+RAM+HDD inside a case really isn't any harder. Just more connections, that's all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

I've installed Linux on a variety of desktop machines. In general I prefer Dells. I have an ASUS connected to my TV. It had a stupid warranty that was broken as soon as I opened the case to install an NVIDIA card. It works fine, but that warranty??

NewEgg has a lot of refurbished Dells if you're on a budget. These all have at least an i5: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=E...CE&PageSize=36
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Punch do in the UK.
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12