Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyboard/typing issues after updating to Ubuntu 18.04.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Keyboard/typing issues after updating to Ubuntu 18.04.2

Nope nothing there that will help here, I can't help, but to offer this, Hold the "Left Shift Key" down for about 20 to 30 seconds to see if that helps.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

I'm almost certain now that the issue is the shift key and the space bar. I had not really made the connection until just now.

I did test this on an Ubuntu 16 box I have here. Start pluma. Hold Left Shift + Spacebar and it gives a space. But here on Ubuntu 18 it does not. I don't think it's necessarily Ubuntu 18, but maybe a different version of X.org used between Ubuntu 16 and Ubuntu 18 that changed a default setting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I seem to be fixated on this little problem of yours, can you show me this also please:
    Code:
    gsettings list-recursively | grep input-source
    Example of mine:
    Code:
    org.gnome.desktop.input-sources xkb-options @as []
    org.gnome.desktop.input-sources mru-sources @a(ss) []
    org.gnome.desktop.input-sources show-all-sources false
    org.gnome.desktop.input-sources current uint32 0
    org.gnome.desktop.input-sources per-window false
    org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources [('xkb', 'us+dvorak')]
    org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-input-source ['<Super>space', 'XF86Keyboard']
    org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-input-source-backward ['<Shift><Super>space', '<Shift>XF86Keyboard']
    org.cinnamon.desktop.input-sources show-all-sources false
    org.cinnamon.desktop.input-sources current uint32 0
    org.cinnamon.desktop.input-sources sources @a(ss) []
    org.cinnamon.desktop.input-sources xkb-options @as []
    org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard input-sources-switcher 'off'
    Please use code tags for the return back. (See my sig if you don't know how)
    Last edited by 1fallen; May 28th, 2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

I think I fixed it!

Run uim-pref-gtk

Then under Global key bindings 1 - there's a [Global] on and [Global] off ... I have no idea what this is referring to. Both have "zenkaku-hankaku" listed, I also have no idea what that is. But they both have Shift Space listed. Click Edit and remove Shift Space from both. Now Shift + Space will work in pluma and else where that uses gtk.

I'm not sure if this is actually the issue, or just something I stumbled across that seems to resolve it. Although I may be still experiencing issues with something else still in Firefox. Maybe I just need to reboot.

Beans

Problem with Firefox was that I'm running this particular FireFox as another "user" on this system. You have to run uim-pref-gtk for each of those users that I'm running applications as

sudo -H -u <theuser> uim-pref-gtk

And make the same changes.

The changes appear to be referenced in the file

/home/<thuser>/.uim.d/customs/custom-global-keys1.scm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well done!
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

I figured I might as well detail this as much as possible. I've got quite a few Ubuntu systems running Ubuntu 16 and those are going to have to eventually be upgraded to Ubuntu 18. And when that happens, I'll probably run into these same issues. Maybe I'll find this post and say to myself "that guy is having the exact same issue I'm having" only to realize, that guy is me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12