Thread: Oh my darling Clementine...

Beans

Oh my darling Clementine...

System

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
    Kernel 4.154.0.50-generic i686
    Mate 1.20.1

Clementine begins to have hiccups on my systems. Some columns are not displayed any more, and I can't get them added (Artist, Date Added, etc) even if they are listed in the box (right-click on a column header) to get the list but clementine's last update was in 2016 (like Banshee). There also some songs which year appears like a six digits figure (?). I've a huge collection (20,000 + ) but that should not ba an issue per se.

Anyone experiencing the same issues. I switched from Banshee to Clementine, and since then, I have not found any player (DeaDBeef, Audacious, Quod Libet, Sayonara - I tested them ALL) with so many features as Clementine (Cover fetching, smart playlist, metadata autocompletion, etc).

I still use it, but like a car on three wheels. She may be lost and gone forever
    Dreadful sorry, Clementine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Oh my darling Clementine...

There is new fork of clementine called strawberry.
    Installable either as a snap or from source:
    See:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....8#post13860538
    Works well enough for me, your mileage may vary.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Oh, thanks a lot. I'll check that.

Beans

Yrah, OK, no 32 bits .deb available, a cryptic cmake procedure ending with "No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found."
    I'm too old to lose time with that. I'll look for something else.
    Thanks anyway.

Beans

Amazingly, Clementine 1.3.1 is now running smoothly using Qt version 4.8.7., which dates back to 2015...
    Ticking time bomb ?

Beans

The problems you're describing in your first post look like something I encountered a while ago. Turned out to be a broken sqlite-database ($HOME/.config/Clementine/clementine.db). It wasn't broken in the sense of an invalid file, opening it with the command line sqlite3 tool worked. But there was some data in there that didn't make sense. After I renamed that db to 'clementine.db.old' Clementine rebuilt it from scratch and has been working fine for the last 6 month. I lost my playlists and probably some ratings and play-counts, but everything else was rebuilt just the way it was. The database mostly stores the metadata read from the files, you could call it a kind of cache.

And I wouldn't call Clementine a dead project, if you look at the code in the git-repository you'll find commits dated from the last few weeks. They just haven't done a new release for a (long) while. There are developer builds available at http://builds.clementine-player.org/ (the last .deb-files for ubuntu/bionic date from 21-May-2019, less than two weeks ago). These builds come with the usual warnings (see the README.md on gitHub) and I haven't tried them myself, but at least it shows that there's still some life in the project ...

Holger