Thread: Porting Windows on Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Porting Windows on Linux

OK I have read a lot of HORROR stories about porting apps from Windows on Linux. Well I am 98% hocked on Linux, there is just 1 app that I have to say that I really can not live without on Windows and it is Filmora Video Editor, and the reason is it has all the fancy editing features that I love and use all the time other than that app I am totaly hooked on Linux.

So I want an honest answer how easy is it to port an app on Linux from Windows for a newbie as myself. Is there a lot of knowledge I need to have. Before you say go to Google, I have I HATE Big Brother Google BTW they track and sell your info on there.

I just am looking for real life experience, and I hope that is what I can get here.

Thanks
    Abdulah Mohamed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Porting Windows on Linux

Do you have the source code? Are you able to write code? Are you able to modify the source code from the original and make it compatible with a different operating system?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"Porting" is done by professional developers or very experienced Linux systems engineers. Not for new Linux user, home users, etc. BUT, have you looked at:

https://alternativeto.net/software/w...-video-editor/

Much easier to try a few of these Linux native alternatives - - especially if you spend most of your time in Linux. Another thing, some may suggest a VM (virtual machine), but for high end video editing, it may not be a good solution.

Stick with the several excellent Video editors that are already available for free in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; May 25th, 2019 at 05:43 AM.
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The best thing to try is to find a Linux alternative. There are several video editors. There's also wine, which allows you to run Windows applications on Linux, with varying degrees of success (including no success at all). See the wine app db to find how successful other users where with your application. It lists filmora with silver rating, which means it doesn't work very well. To port something you have to be familiar with the source code. It's not something I would attempt, even if I had access to the source code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I would caution you about relying on Wine, especially in the case of poor app ratings.

A silver rating means the app installs and runs -- but says nothing about what features work and don't.

Unless an app has a Gold rating, and even then, with the Linux distro version that you are using, trying to use it productively is a total waste of time.

Just thought you should know before you invest huge amounts of time trying to get an app working in Wine.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I'd give VirtualBox a try before giving up on virtual machines. The program might perform better than you'd expect. Make sure to install the optional Extension Pack as it has better video drivers than the open-source version.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I'd give VirtualBox a try before giving up on virtual machines.

I wouldn't attempt video editing in a virtualised environment unless you had a whole lot of cores to dedicate to the virtual machine (like a ThreadRipper based system, for example)...

Like has already been mentioned, there's tons of NLE video apps that range from novice friendly to pro-shop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

as mentioned - very good alternative s are available. they are easy to use. Openshot, Kdenlive...

there is also a professional grade option (Blender).

why walk, when you can ride?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla