Thread: Forum Help - Extra space around [CODE] tags

Beans

Forum Help - Extra space around [CODE] tags

When I post the the forums I try to always use the code tags, but when I do I always seem to get and extra space at the bottom of the box.

Code:
    Sort of like this
    This is in line with the preceeding comment

I see other comments using the tag and it doesn't have that extra space.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Forum Help - Extra space around [CODE] tags

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    When I post the the forums I try to always use the code tags, but when I do I always seem to get and extra space at the bottom of the box.

Code:
    Sort of like this
    This is in line with the preceeding comment

I see other comments using the tag and it doesn't have that extra space.
    For code boxes without the space, what sort of content do those "other comments" contain? Can you link to or show some examples of what you are noting there?

I just scanned back through a couple of years of my old posts checking code boxes and noted there are some circumstances where the space is absent.

It appears code boxes with text/numbers only seem to have the space whereas code boxes with coding symbols and formatting seem to NOT have such a space.

From my quick check of older posts it seems the space is dependent on the type and formatting of the content being posted to the code box. Though it is only after reading your post here that I even mentally registered the space exists on some of my code boxes; even though it has always existed it is not something I've noticed in the past .

Regards, yeti.

Beans

Thanks I'll have to keep my eyes open when I see boxes without the extra space. I'm glad to know I'm not doing something wrong!

My [CODE] tags are almost always text, cut and pasted from a terminal then edited to add the tags in the advanced editor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'll have to keep my eyes open when I see boxes without the extra space.
    The firefox related user agent switcher code in --this post-- by halogen2 has an example of code/formatting where the closing bracket is hard up against the bottom of the code box. You can see how the formatting there also extends the code off the page so a scroll bar is used to view the content.

Though I must admit most other code boxes I've seen when checking this have the trailing blank line you posted about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Purely as a FYI, while this quirk in the Forum software is an interesting curiosity, I believe that I speak for all staff in stating that we won't be looking into it at all deeply, as it does not interfere with the operation of the Forums.