Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 5.2RC (Release Candidate) series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel 5.2RC (Release Candidate) series

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    Good news - Linus has dubbed 5.2 "Bobtail Squid" & pushed it out of the nest.
    Bad news - Today's build has failed for both AMD64 & i386.
    Interesting. I am still on kernel 5.2-rc5, due to some continuing testing. I see the daily build worked until yesterday. I'll try to compile it myself shortly.

EDIT 1: Looks like a messed up kernel configuration file to me.
    EDIT 2: Reported on kernel IRC channel. result: "this is a bug introduced by the compiler hardening options being turned on by default"
    EDIT 3: Compiles fine for me, probably because I am using an old version of the compiler.
    EDIT 4: Bug report
    Last edited by Doug S; July 10th, 2019 at 02:56 AM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

There is more bad news however.
    Phoronix is reporting that anything later than 18.04LTS won't boot on the new Ryzen 3000 CPU's.
    There is much discussion of what the cause may be in the comments.
    Ryzen 7 5800X / Alpenfohn Gletschewasser 280 / Gigabyte X570S Aero G / 32GB 4000MHz C16 Team Group X-treem /
    Gigabyte RTX4080 Aero OC / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / Asus Loki 1kW / Lian-Li O11D Mini / Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo / Win11 / Kubuntu 23.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    There is more bad news however.
    Phoronix is reporting that anything later than 18.04LTS won't boot on the new Ryzen 3000 CPU's.
    There is much discussion of what the cause may be in the comments.
    Yes, but it is my understanding (without looking at your link) that the issue is a systemd problem. I saw a bug report just yesterday about it, with a patch. I'll see if I can find it again. Oh, it was while I was still on the kernel channel on IRC. See here.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Yes, but it is my understanding (without looking at your link) that the issue is a systemd problem. I saw a bug report just yesterday about it, with a patch. I'll see if I can find it again. Oh, it was while I was still on the kernel channel on IRC. See here.
    Thanks.
    Ryzen 7 5800X / Alpenfohn Gletschewasser 280 / Gigabyte X570S Aero G / 32GB 4000MHz C16 Team Group X-treem /
    Gigabyte RTX4080 Aero OC / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / Asus Loki 1kW / Lian-Li O11D Mini / Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo / Win11 / Kubuntu 23.04

Beans
    Distro

For users wanting to compile the mainline 5.2 kernel for themselves, and with the newer compiler included with 19.10 do this:

Code:
    doug@serv-ee:~/temp-k-git/linux$ git diff
    diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
    index 3e4868a6498b..d8ccc47215be 100644
    --- a/Makefile
    +++ b/Makefile
    @@ -630,8 +630,8 @@ ifdef CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER
       CC_FLAGS_FTRACE := -pg
     endif

-RETPOLINE_CFLAGS_GCC := -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register
    -RETPOLINE_VDSO_CFLAGS_GCC := -mindirect-branch=thunk-inline -mindirect-branch-register
    +RETPOLINE_CFLAGS_GCC := -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fcf-protection=none
    +RETPOLINE_VDSO_CFLAGS_GCC := -mindirect-branch=thunk-inline -mindirect-branch-register -fcf-protection=none
     RETPOLINE_CFLAGS_CLANG := -mretpoline-external-thunk
     RETPOLINE_VDSO_CFLAGS_CLANG := -mretpoline
     RETPOLINE_CFLAGS := $(call cc-option,$(RETPOLINE_CFLAGS_GCC),$(call cc-option,$(RETPOLINE_CFLAGS_CLANG)))
    And it should then compile.
    References:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...9/+bug/1830961
    https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-.../msg22298.html
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11037379/
    Last edited by Doug S; July 11th, 2019 at 07:57 PM.

Beans

Latest successful build for amd64 that I could find is https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...ine/v5.2-rc7// This is 2 weeks old. Never seen this before.

Beans

A Phoronix comment says the newer kernels use the -mindirect-branch flag to deal with retpolines.
    This is not compatible with Ubuntu's chosen fcf-protection flag.

See Launchpad bug #1830961

Beans

UPDATE - I got a 5.2.0-8 kernel yesterday through the normal update channels.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mrfelker View Post
    Latest successful build for amd64 that I could find is https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...ine/v5.2-rc7// This is 2 weeks old. Never seen this before.
    You can also see people on the bug report asking for the mainline build to be fixed. However it has to wait for the fix, which has been picked up, to make it into the upstream mainline, which it hasn't yet. It'll first appear in the dailies, but not as of today. Hopefully by kernel 5.3-rc1.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    You can also see people on the bug report asking for the mainline build to be fixed. However it has to wait for the fix, which has been picked up, to make it into the upstream mainline, which it hasn't yet. It'll first appear in the dailies, but not as of today. Hopefully by kernel 5.3-rc1.
    The patch has been merged into upstream mainline, so the Ubuntu daily for July 21st should compile properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast