Thread: Keyboard not working on restart (grub selection menu) + clock problem too....

Beans

Keyboard not working on restart (grub selection menu) + clock problem too....

Hi all

Iam new to Linux and I have dual-OS booting (Win10/Ubuntu Studio), now when i RESTART in Linux the keyboard does not work on the GRUB menu (Win10 is default) - yet every time it does this and boots into windows, when I restart, the keyboard IS working, very strange, it happens every single time too, its like to restart Linux I HAVE to boot into windows first to trigger the keyboard into a working state??

2nd issue: every time I go into Win10 after using Linux the clock is one hour behind....every time...

if anyone can help with these problems I would really appreciate it

thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Keyboard not working on restart (grub selection menu) + clock problem too....

Quote Originally Posted by 1byte View Post
    2nd issue: every time I go into Win10 after using Linux the clock is one hour behind....every time...
    Both Windows and Linux set the hardware clock to a time that they retrieve from the Internet, since the hardware clock is terrible at keeping time.

Windows sets the hardware clock to local time. Everything else sets the clock to UTC and converts to local time. The difference between UTC and local time, for you, in the summer, is one hour; hence the disparity.

It's just editing a text file to make Ubuntu use local time for the hardware clock instead. I can't remember which text file, since I haven't used Windows in over a decade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Keyboard not working on restart (grub selection menu) + clock problem too....

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Both Windows and Linux set the hardware clock to a time that they retrieve from the Internet, since the hardware clock is terrible at keeping time.

Windows sets the hardware clock to local time. Everything else sets the clock to UTC and converts to local time. The difference between UTC and local time, for you, in the summer, is one hour; hence the disparity.

It's just editing a text file to make Ubuntu use local time for the hardware clock instead. I can't remember which text file, since I haven't used Windows in over a decade.
    +1

In Ubuntu releases that use systemd the command to change time to local and update the clock right away is

Code:
    timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock
    If you run timedatectl, it will show a warning

Code:
    Warning: The system is configured to read the RTC time in the local time zone.
             This mode can not be fully supported. It will create various problems
             with time zone changes and daylight saving time adjustments. The RTC
             time is never updated, it relies on external facilities to maintain it.
             If at all possible, use RTC in UTC by calling
             'timedatectl set-local-rtc 0'.
    This warning doesn't mean that it is set to 0, it suggests a command to switch it back to RTC.(FWIW)
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

thanks for the replies, any ideas on what could be causing the keyboard issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by 1byte View Post
    thanks for the replies, any ideas on what could be causing the keyboard issue?
    Have you tried a different keyboard? Nothing lasts forever, and everything put together falls apart. Entropy, you know?

I have had USB3 cables, in the same position and not moved for months fail completely. And ALWAYS suspect hardware first.

It is remotely possible that the keyboard isn't supported by the kernel, but not likely at all.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

There is a keyboard setting in BIOS that use to need to be changed to fix this. Anyone remember that?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

keyboard setting in BIOS...Anyone remember that?
    This is from my motherboard (recent) manual....
    PS/2 Keyboard Power On
    Allow the system to be waked up by a PS/2 Keyboard
    USB Keyboard/Remote Power On
    Allow the system to be waked up by an USB keyboard or remote controller.
    IMHO, I don't think anything is wrong with the keyboard. If its operation is satisfactory in one OS then it works. There is probably a configuration issue.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    There is a keyboard setting in BIOS that use to need to be changed to fix this. Anyone remember that?
    It would generally be Legacy USB Support or similar. The BIOS captures USB input device signals and handles them as if they were PS/2 signals for OSes that don't support USB, or for when no OS is yet loaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

From a legacy motherboard (Bios=2008)manual....
    Halt On
    Allows you to determine whether the system will stop for an error during the POST.
    No Errors The system boot will not stop for any error.
    All Errors Whenever the BIOS detects a non-fatal error the system boot will stop.
    All, But Keyboard The system boot will not stop for a keyboard error but stop for all other errors. (Default)
    All, But Diskette The system boot will not stop for a floppy disk drive error but stop for all other errors.
    All, But Disk/Key The system boot will not stop for a keyboard or a floppy disk drive error but it will stop for all other errors.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    It would generally be Legacy USB Support or similar. The BIOS captures USB input device signals and handles them as if they were PS/2 signals for OSes that don't support USB, or for when no OS is yet loaded.
    Yes, that was the one! Thanks CatKiller