Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display popup spam

Beans

Unhappy Display popup spam

Hi everyone,

I found a laptop here at home to install Ubuntu studio on, since I do photography and my wife sings and makes music.

Problem is this message that keeps popping up like 30 times on startup, and then stops. I tried both 19.04 and 18.04 LTS without luck.

How do I fix this so I can actually start using the OS?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Display popup spam

Hi and welcome to the forums

From my limited knowledge of Scandinavian languages I see it has something to do with screen resolution?

When did this start happening? Did you first try or go directly to installing?

Please post the specifications, especially RAM, graphics, and screen resolution.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Do you by chance have a second monitor attached?

Beans

Hi, correct. It has something to do with screen or resolution.

It started right away, both when testing and after install. They pop up as soon as I reach my desktop even if I don't touch anything.

It's a HP laptop with 4gb ram, AMD rs880 graphics and AMD athlon ii n350 dual core CPU.

I do not have any other screens connected to it.
    Last edited by howefield; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:50 AM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

What does the output of this command show?

CTRL+ALT+T to open a terminal:

Code:
    xrandr
    Post in code tags please for easier reading (Go Advanced >> look for # and paste between).

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    What does the output of this command show?

CTRL+ALT+T to open a terminal:

Code:
    xrandr

Post in code tags please for easier reading (Go Advanced >> look for # and paste between).

Thanks.
    I just installed regular Ubuntu and it works, can I use this command in "try before installing" or do I need to install Ubuntu studio again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Regular Ubuntu, you mean plain vanilla Ubuntu 18.04?

Yes, the command also works in Try before installing. Basically, what it shows is your current screen resolution and all options to change to (should you wish).

The other thing I was going to suggest on Studio would be to go to the Notification settings and if there is an entry for display to disable it (but that would only appear after installing not on the live session).

I forgot to ask before but if you had installed the latest version of Studio, 19.04 I think, and it was causing issues then try installing the 18.04 LTS version they have available on the site.
    http://ubuntustudio.org/download/
    Last edited by Rubi1200; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:22 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Regular Ubuntu, you mean plain vanilla Ubuntu 18.04?

Yes, the command also works in Try before installing. Basically, what it shows is your current screen resolution and all options to change to (should you wish).

The other thing I was going to suggest on Studio would be to go to the Notification settings and if there is an entry for display to disable it (but that would only appear after installing not on the live session).

I forgot to ask before but if you had installed the latest version of Studio, 19.04 I think, and it was causing issues then try installing the 18.04 LTS version they have available on the site.
    http://ubuntustudio.org/download/
    Hi, I just installed Ubuntu studio again to fix the problem. Xrandr gives me the same resolution as the display window suggests, 1366x768.

I can not find anywhere to turn off notifications for screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The window is your display settings though I don't know why it is opening unaided . You would normally have to open settings or right click the desktop open to activate the window. If you right click the desktop do you see a shortcut to display settings?
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

If it is still showing up as before that is quite odd.

As Frogs Hair points out you would not normally see that window unless you had opened settings to adjust something.

As a test, I ran a live session of Studio and was not affected by this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast