Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am I the only one unhappy with LXQT?

Beans

am I the only one unhappy with LXQT?

I realize it is time for an upgrade from the bit rot. . .however. . .

I have utilized Lubuntu since 14.04. I have found LXDE very easy to configure. It has served me well. I agree not the best looking. . .however. . .bit rot or not. . .it works well without a lot of riff-raff. Very well.

Not so much with LXQT. Tried and failed. I didn't even know where to begin. Whew! Too much. Too many applications. Too many things to configure. And if you make an error. . .which I did several times. . .well. . .I just gave up.

Peppermint? It is hardly based upon Lubuntu or LXDE. I also found it way to difficult to configure and again. . .if you make an error. . .

LXLE. . .couldn't even get it to install. . .got a live session only. . .guess it doesn't install via USB although I was able to get into a live session. . .and again. . .hardly based upon Lubuntu or LXDE. . .and again. . .if you make an error. . .

I would recommend to anyone who is thinking of giving Lubuntu a try to wait until the next LTS in 2021. If you start with 18.04 and then get used to LXDE. . .well. . .you might just give up with LXQT. . .for those so used to LXDE there is a major LXQT learning curve. . .well. . .maybe not for all of you computer geniuses. . .I don't qualify as one. . .I couldn't even figure out how to add a Program to the Taskbar. . .

Tried and failed. . .I will miss LXDE. . .and all of its bit rot. . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: am I the only one unhappy with LXQT?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When you grab an icon, drag it to the taskbar and place at the "green +" then it will drop in place. I love LXQT. Maybe your hardware. But LXQT works well in a 10 year old HP and also in my new Acer. Could also just getting use to the new interface.

Beans

Thank you! Yes, I will have to work on getting used to the new interface. The icons in the Taskbar look terrible to me and nothing I tried made them look any better.

Beans

I don't think LXDE is going anywhere soon, but if your not happy with Lubuntu there are other distros running the lxde package.

https://wiki.lxde.org/en/Category:LinuxDistributions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I haven't used either LXDE recently and have never touched LXQt.

There are many other options. LXDE isn't even the lightest of the options. You can run without any DE at all. I use just openbox most of the time, but sometimes change to fvwm or fluxbox if I want something a little fancier. Openbox will show a minimal GUI anywhere on the desktop that you right-click. It can be customized.

Here is my understanding ... could be wrong, but ...

LXDE is based on the Gnome toolkit - GTK.
    LXQt is based on the KDE toolkit - Qt.

There are huge philosophical differences between those 2 teams. It isn't surprising that things look different, behave different, and use different applications. Basically, the Gnome default apps were probably swapped for KDE default applications as a quick solution to the change from GTK to Qt, in the interest of consistency and smaller RAM requirements. I would have done it that way. Kate vs Gedit - not a big deal.

Gnome is about over simplification and the travesty of the default settings.
    Qt is about having control over every detail.
    Which of these choices you prefer depends.

The Lubuntu guys wanted to stay relevant and using a currently maintained toolkit is part of that. Gnome2 is dead, regardless of what we people using Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE, XFCE and a few programs want. Dead, dead, dead. So the choice the Lubuntu guys had was Gnome3 or Qt. Gnome3 isn't exactly lite and some of their other choices, well, I can appreciate their goals without agreeing with those goals. I'm less than the peanut gallery here. THEY are doing the work. If I don't like it, I'm free to fork or find another team that has already. That is the nature of the Linux Bazaar. Think of what we'd do should some proprietary company have been making LXDE? They'd have all that code locked up in copyrights and patents and would only ship the, improved, variant. Sweet! We all love the new Vista, right?

Beans

Lubuntu 1904 is very customizable and can look great with a little work. If you need help, ask in a support forum.

Beans

I am cursed when trying to install two other LXDE OS: SparkyLinux and LXLE. Utilizing a USB, both booted just fine to the live sessions, however when attempting to install both crashed at exactly 22%, for both OS. I was able to install Peppermint and Lubuntu 19.04 just fine with USB. I liked SparkyLinux however it does me no good when I can't install. There appeared to be no option to install without starting first with the live session with both Sparky and LXLE.

I like Lubuntu, I am just. . .well. . .maybe a better word is. . .confused. . .with configuring LXQT. I will have to ask a lot of questions in the Forums. But then I feel I might present myself as stupid because I am sure most of the questions I will ask applicable to LXQT will turn out to be. . .well. . .stupid. If I can't even install LXLE or SparkyLinux, then I feel I am really out-of-luck from correctly configuring LXQT.

I am sure LXQT can look great and is customizable. I do feel it has plenty of potential. Just right now for me it is overwhelming and it is completely different from LXDE. So, right now, I am very frustrated with it. Maybe that is the best word. . .frustrated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I used Lubuntu for a while several years ago. It was ok then but I hated it after they switched to LXQT.
    I have been using Xubuntu for the past 3 years and I like it more than Lubuntu because I can easily customize the desktop/folder right-click menu. I never had any luck trying to do that on Openbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried Lubuntu with the new LXQT I too dislike it and prefer to use the main Ubuntu system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast