Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: am I the only one unhappy with LXQT?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: am I the only one unhappy with LXQT?

I'm kinda weird. I always used to install Xubuntu first & then add LXDE thru Synaptic. Had the best of both worlds & if I got tired of Openbox in LXDE, I just switched to XFWM4 instead.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: am I the only one unhappy with LXQt?

LXDE really is DEAD, being based on GTK+2 something had to be done.

MATE was the first desktop I used that moved from GTK+2 to GTK+3 (I'll use modern GTK2/3 from now on), and on a single core pentium M laptop with 1GB of ram, the move from GTK2 to GTK3 caused a noticeable slowdown (ie. drop in performance). On core2duo & better cpus the speed loss was actually really minor, and not usually detectable. On faster cpus the difference wasn't detectable. though as I could easily detect it on the slower boxes, I believed it was there.

XFCE was next with the move from GTK2 to GTK3. Again on the pentium M single-core cpus (with 1gb, or 1.5gb of ram) the difference (drop in performance) was again actually noticeable (I wasn't looking for it either, MATE had switched many releases prior, so I'd forgotten that having stopped using MATE on pentium M). Usable still - for sure, but as 'fun' being slower; nah. XFCE is now all GTK3 from 19.10 onwards; though the differences were noticed most in 17.10-19.04 testing on x86 boxes (x86 images stopped being produced in the 19.04 cycle, December 2018)

I expected to see the difference when Lubuntu switched from GTK2 based LXDE to LXQt (using Qt5), alas no I didn't. As Lubuntu kept producing the x86 ISOs (just slightly longer than Xubuntu did) I could continue testing on old single-core cpus into the 19.04 cycle; and LXQt is actually fast on those single core laptops.

LXQt has improved from it's initial appearance in Lubuntu Next, or prime-time with Lubuntu 18.10 for sure, but to me the biggest change is switching from GTK2 to Qt5 libs. To be memory efficient that means many apps have to change (esp. on boxes with very limited ram such as the <2gb boxes I used for testing x86). Yes if you have more than 4gb of ram you can usually ignore this bit, but on older, slower, more limited hardware, the move to LXQt makes sense to me. GTK3 apps on GTK2 desktop never did make a lot of sense; esp. on limited RAM boxes, but for users of those apps the move to Qt based apps could be somewhat more of a change, and thus disliked.

Lubuntu 18.10 & 19.04 with LXQt were quite a lot faster than Xubuntu 18.10 & 19.04 on 32-bit, single-core hardware with limited ram in my experience (ibm thinkpad t43, dell latitude d61, etc). The L in Lubuntu refers to LIGHT, and using LXQt does in my experience best suit that goal.

The Lubuntu team have spent a lot of effort to start 'fresh' with LXQt, for example a new manual (https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/) which helped make me setup my main workstation as I'd previously had it when using Xubuntu (XFCE) and could never achieve with LXDE.

The decision on what GUI/desktop best suits you, only you can decide, but I think LXQt as found in Lubuntu is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

One of the things I like about the "Buntu's" is that just about every desktop is available. Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and LXQt, are readily available. Even Budgie, and Cinnamon are now available.

I've never disliked an interface, but I do find some of them to be more useful than others. I currently use KDE, because it is my favorite of the bunch.

I really like this aspect of Ubuntu. Picking your favorite from a bunch of great working products, as opposed to choosing the "lesser of evils..."
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    One of the things I like about the "Buntu's" is that just about every desktop is available. Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and LXQt, are readily available. Even Budgie, and Cinnamon are now available.
    and Ubuntu Mate.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    and Ubuntu Mate.
    I said Gnome.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12