Thread: Any long term solution for a music streaming service working with Ubuntu/Linux?

Beans

Any long term solution for a music streaming service working with Ubuntu/Linux?

Hi,
    It's been two times I switch streaming service, because they start failing, possibly because I'm not using a closed source proprietary browser. First di.fm was working great, then it started to fail and tell me to tray again later, but it worked on phones and tablets. Then Spotify worked great, even on Ubuntu, I was quite surprised, but the Spotify client application pauses when screens turns off (even if the system doesn't suspend and then the Web Player started to error out and tell me to try again later, all the times. Trying to get support from Spotify is pretty much impossible. The forum always tells me there is an error in my post, and now asks me to identify images I even don't understand (like corsswalks and fire hydrants), and trying to contact Spotify results in error 500.
    So I need once again to switch and would like to find something working correctly with Ubuntu. Is there something better than using YouTube that would uselessly stream megabytes of video with each music I play?
    Would Google Play Music, that worked correctly in the past, be suitable? Is there a possibility that the service will become Chrome-only as well, or be restricted to work just on phones/tablets without notice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Any long term solution for a music streaming service working with Ubuntu/Linux?

I have been using the Pithos Pandora client for years ad free. The Spotify client for Ubuntu works well here. I don't stream from the web browser except for video.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Any long term solution for a music streaming service working with Ubuntu/Linux?

I'm not into 3rd party servers. I've been self-hosting my music collection for over 2 decades, available from anywhere with internet. Is that something you would consider? You already know you like the playlist.

Beans

Hmm, why pay for streaming?

I use internet-radio.com and streamtuner.

Streamtuner includes streamripper - so I use that to download muzak to play in my car.

My private collection is on a couple of disk drives that have been lying in my junk box for the past ten years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Radiotray app is into the archive; also accuradio streaming is fine.

Beans

Interesting. This is probably the best thing to do long term. I already have a local collection of music. I use streaming to discover new things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Radiotray app is into the archive; also accuradio streaming is fine.
    https://github.com/ebruck/radiotray-ng looks like a fork, getting some love.