Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Mint?

Beans

Re: Help with Mint?

Okay. It gave me about 20 lines of code. I tried to take a picture hoping I could post that here but I can't seem to figure that out.
    When you are posting a reply there are 3 rows of icons above the message window and the one you want is the paper clip icon on the upper right. Click that and a new window opens and click Add Files in the upper right of that window and browse to the location of the file and upload.

Beans

Ah yes! I see that now when I click the "go advance" reply option. I was just doing quick replies before that. Thanks for your help! I'll get some pictures of those errors after I turn it on again.

Beans

Rubi1200!

I booted it up again and didn't get the same error codes as last night. It just started up at the busybox prompt. I did what you said again. I typed exit, and it told me sda2 again. I did what you said again and did the fsck -y dev/sda2, and this time I let the process finish! When it was complete, about 10 minutes. It said the file system has been modified. I told it to reboot and it did, it shot the first errors at me again, then flashed my PC login, and then it opened mint! I'm now at my desktop!

Thanks very much for your help! For the purpose of learning, could you explain exactly what we did there? For example what is fsck?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

File
    System
    ChecK

Essentially, what Rubi1200 asked you to do was to invoke the fsck utility to check and repair your broken filesystem in sda2. The -y flag tells fsck to go ahead with any repairs automatically without first checking back with the user interactively. The /dev/sda2 is the system reference for the second partition on your first SATA disk.

FWIW, oldfred said exactly the same thing, but in shorthand. Please appreciate that for us oldtimers, Linux has lost a lot of its initial obscurity and some of the more exotic commands have become natural. We forget what it's like for newbies.

If you wish to continue using Linux, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with it more deeply. While many users get by with nothing more than superficial knowledge, once system problems rear their ugly heads, a slightly deeper understanding pays big dividends. A good place to start is the links in my sig: Linux is Not Windows & Resources for Newcomers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by daxusb View Post
    what is fsck?
    It's roughly equivalent to DOS/Win's chkdsk command, and fulfills the same function.
    Code:
    man fsck
    for technical details, and feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Mint maintains their own support forum here ; they are friendly and welcoming to new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daxusb View Post
    Rubi1200!

I booted it up again and didn't get the same error codes as last night. It just started up at the busybox prompt. I did what you said again. I typed exit, and it told me sda2 again. I did what you said again and did the fsck -y dev/sda2, and this time I let the process finish! When it was complete, about 10 minutes. It said the file system has been modified. I told it to reboot and it did, it shot the first errors at me again, then flashed my PC login, and then it opened mint! I'm now at my desktop!

Thanks very much for your help! For the purpose of learning, could you explain exactly what we did there? For example what is fsck?
    I am also very happy to hear the problems have been resolved.

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12