Thread: 19.04 (Disco Dingo) Known Bugs and Workarounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

19.04 (Disco Dingo) Known Bugs and Workarounds

Disco Dingo (19.04) was released Thursday April 18 2019. Please post your tips and work-a-rounds here. Please do not post problems or ask for help in this thread.

Beans

Re: 19.04 (Disco Dingo) Known Bugs and Workarounds

It is not a bug as such (although it certainly bugs me!) but Debian and Ubuntu have officially dropped my favourite text editor Leafpad from their repositories and this is seen first for Ubuntu in 19.04 Disco Dingo. It is however easy enough to build your own and I see some well thought out directions in this askubuntu question and answer:

Leafpad not available for newer releases of Ubuntu?
    https://askubuntu.com/q/1142518/57576

You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Just did a clean install of 19.04 on brand new ssd. Gnome Settings not opening on standard desktop, did not look to fix. On Unity desktop, wired did not connect till removed cable, rebooted then reattach cable. On the Wayland option, think I had a freeze caused by the Intel Baytrail bug after an hour or two. Was hoping that was fixed by now, so far have not had it on Unity.

Beans

- Veeam Agent for Linux backups will fail, because of a problem with the dkms veeamsnap module (the kernel update that came with 19.04 seems to be the culprit here). There is no known workaround, as far as I know. Veeam is working on official support for for the 5.0 kernel
    - Older versions of Resilio Sync will crash periodically. Solution is to update to the latest build thereof

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Setup: Lubuntu 19.04
    Problem: HP Printer Service package hplip cannot find wireless printer automatically. This was not the case in 18.04 and 18.10.
    Workaround: Get the IP address of the printer by using Printer application in the Application Menu (it is an applet to /usr/bin/python3 /usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py) - this application is not from HP package. Once you get the IP address, run the HPLIP and add the IP address manually.
    Last edited by pencuse; 4 Days Ago at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo, reformat
    Computer: Dell Latitude E7440 (since December 2017); CPU: Intel Core i7-4600U, 2 cores, 4 threads; HDD: 256 GB SSD; RAM: 8 GB DDR3L; Graphics: Intel HD 4400 (integrated in the CPU)
    Registered Linux User #454206

Beans
    Distro

Problem: When starting GUI applications on Qtterminal, stderr (not stdout) shows the message Icon theme "breeze" not found.
    Workaround: The message is not harmful, even though there is no known workaround. Filed as bug one for Ubuntu and one for KDE.
    Last edited by pencuse; 4 Days Ago at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
    Computer: Dell Latitude E7440 (since December 2017); CPU: Intel Core i7-4600U, 2 cores, 4 threads; HDD: 256 GB SSD; RAM: 8 GB DDR3L; Graphics: Intel HD 4400 (integrated in the CPU)

Beans
    Distro

Problem: hddtemp does not show the temperature of the Samsung PM851 SSD
    Workaround: Use sudo smartctl -l scttemp <device name of the harddisk>
    Last edited by pencuse; 4 Days Ago at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Problem: By default the installation enables continuous trim and periodic trim for SSD drives
    Workaround:
    Remove the keyword discard in /etc/fstab from all partitions on an SSD drive

Continuous TRIM is used at each interaction on the drive.
    Periodic TRIM is used only by fstrim.timer https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization (1 weekly). Anacron and cron do not use it.

Continuous TRIM is discouraged in the last years. Proof:

Due to the bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...et/+bug/864051 discard was added into /etc/fstab (continuous TRIM) in 2011 to Ubuntu.
    This change has a negative impact now.

This change must be removed again, to be filed as a bug to all Ubuntu distributions. The installation must detect that the mount is on an SSD drive and shall not use "discard" in /etc/fstab
    Last edited by pencuse; 4 Days Ago at 06:55 PM. Reason: more info on discard