Thread: pdf file freezes system

Beans

pdf file freezes system

I have a .pdf file which I was trying to print out. Its a manual on a panasonic phone system. Adobe reader loads it and displays it. When I try and print it the printer prints the first page and then stops. I then choose to print it to a file. This time it printed the first page and the the rest as blank pages. When I try and exit the adobe reader it freezes and I have to goto the system monitor and kill it. Then I tried to use the libre office draw and writer. Draw showed me the first page and said it had loaded 56 slides but I couldn't get to them (also had to force exit), Writer didn't load it (but thought it had). I also tried gimp which also gave me the first page only.

I don't think this is a printer problem.

Does anybody know how I can actually print this file?
    Last edited by jgw; 1 Day Ago at 08:03 PM.
    Memory: 14.6 GiB
    Processor: AMD® A8-7650k radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 pixels
    GNOME: 3.28 OS: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: pdf file freezes system

1. Adobe support for Linux is pathetic—almost criminal. You state that you have Adobe Reader. How did you install it? Adobe stopped issuing a Reader for Linux about five versions ago and it hasn't been available in the repos for years.
    2. The manual you are trying to access is either corrupted, uses some really oddball Adobe calls, or is so GPU-intensive that it crashes some display routine (unlikely).
    3. There are very few occasions where a PDF file simply refuses to work on Linux-based readers, but they do exist. I recently ran across one on a government website (of all places). When I run across such oddballs, I do two things:
      • Open them in a VM running Windows using the latest Adobe Reader,
      • E-mail the webmaster/mistress of the site asking them to stop restricting access to only lousy, proprietary bloatware.

This last is probably pointless, but unless we make ourselves heard, Linux users will perpetually be relegated to the backwaters of the dispensable.

Beans

Thanks for the reply...............

I tend to agree but I have never quite run into this one. I thought libre draw would fix the problem. I turned it on, loaded it up, got rid of the last, foreign pages, etc. and saved it as a pdf. Then I tried to deal with that file and it was still querky. The strange thing, however, is the printing. First page ony whether its to a printer or a file. That is pretty strange indeed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jgw View Post
    …I thought libre draw would fix the problem. I turned it on, loaded it up, got rid of the last, foreign pages, etc. and saved it as a pdf. Then I tried to deal with that file and it was still querky. The strange thing, however, is the printing. First page ony whether its to a printer or a file. That is pretty strange indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    …Open them in a VM running Windows using the latest Adobe Reader…
    Aside from above suggestion, I don't have any others. If this doesn't work, then the likelihood is something wrong with the file and not the system.

Beans

I found another copy of the file from someplace in Europe (forget where). Took a look, it was in english. I downloaded it and had no problem printing it out. I spent a day trying to find the first one. This time it took me 10 minutes. I think my first searches were probably wrong. Anyway, I will mark this one as solved.

Thank you for your help - you pointed me in the right direction, the first file must have been bad.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Good to hear that it is solved.

Good Luck and Happy Ubuntu-ing!