Thread: Why does in Thunar 'smb://mynas' works allright without having samba installed?

Beans

Why does in Thunar 'smb://mynas' works allright without having samba installed?

Hello, I just reinstalled Xubuntu 18.04. I was surprised to see that typing 'smb://mynass' in Thunar works without having samba installed. After enabling ufw, it didn't work anymore. Since Samba is not installed, I cannot use 'sudo ufw enable Samba.' Do you understand what is going on? Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why does in Thunar 'smb://mynas' works allright without having samba installed?

Samba is a sharing server, not the client.

Your system is acting like an SMB/CIFS client. The GUI tools, like Thunar are probably using GVFS and might have the GVFS-SMB client library included by default.

Have you checked the log files? That's where issues should be logged.

Beans

Re: Why does in Thunar 'smb://mynas' works allright without having samba installed?

I was surprised to see that typing 'smb://mynass' in Thunar works without having samba installed.
    But libsmbclient is installed and that is all you need to connect to a SMB server.

And as far as ufw see if this helps you: https://askubuntu.com/questions/8758...rking-together

I don't run Linux on anything mobile so I don't use ufw. I'm assuming the above works since I've seen it before in other places.

EDIT: THis whole thing looks like a problem specific to netbios. When you run thunar smb://mynas you are accessing it by it's netbios name. I betcha if you were to connect to it by it's ip address or mDNS host name ( if it had one ) the problem would not be there.
    Last edited by Morbius1; May 18th, 2019 at 05:27 PM.