Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 18.04 DH replacement

Beans

Re: 18.04 DH replacement

You might try a 'mixed' system. The drive in the screenshot has standard partitions and LVM partitions. This started with the two regular partitions for two OS. Then I wanted to learn about LVM, so I made just one LVM partition (sdc5) to try one LVM install and to learn the various LVM commands in the process. Eventually, I added another logical volume and installed another OS. And so on. When space ran out, I added another LVM partition (sdc7) and expanded my volume group. After a while, I clearly saw the advantages of LVM, and now I'm all in. The exception is an OS where the installer wouldn't do LVM - example of this is MXLinux on sdc2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

I think a mixed system is a good idea I would like to try it. Thank you also for the screen shot.

Is the procedure?

Create a first partition on the drive with gparted formatted to Fat32 say 100MiB

Leave the rest of the drive unformatted
    Create a Virtual group in the unformatted area. This should be say 100GB less than the available space. for the SSD drrive to keep problem areas under control.
    Create appropriate LVs in the virtual group
    Format LVs
    Install os with live CD.

Beans

Referring to the screenshot in post #41, in the beginning, I just made the EFI System Partition on sdc1 and regular ext4 partition sdc2 for my OS (I might have had a separate data partition on a separate HDD, but not sure about that). I suggest you do a minimum UEFI system with standard partitions like that to start out with on the NVMe disk to be sure it will boot OK on your computer. If you wanted a separate home partition, you should also add that at the time of installation.

I don't know if you are interested in having more than one OS installed like I am, so what you do after that is up to you. At some point, try the LVM again by adding an LVM partition. Might be for data storage (LVs easily resizable!) or install an OS there. (In post #41, I think sdc7 and sdc9 both contain parts of a big data LV). Your system will grow over time.

You may notice more than one EFI system partition (ESP)- because at one point, I wanted to see if you could use more than one ESP per drive. The answer was yes. Years ago that was not clear at all. Many distros (Fedora & Manjaro for example) will allow you to choose an ESP to use, but Ubuntu's installer (ubiquity) will only install to the first ESP on the first drive - on my SATA + NVMe system (see post #30), I selected sda and Ubuntu installed boot loader to sda. If no sda is present, I would think it would have to install to the NVMe. If both NVMe and SATA sda are present with ESPs and you choose the NVMe for boot loader location, will it work? Let us know what you find out if you do that.
    Last edited by Dennis N; 1 Week Ago at 05:25 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345