Thread: TP-Link wireless adapter worked until Kernel update to 4:15:0-48

Beans

Question TP-Link wireless adapter worked until Kernel update to 4:15:0-48

Folks,
    A few weeks back I installed a TP-Link wireless adapter (the Archer 4TU device based on the rtl8812au chip) in a desktop machine running Ubuntu 18.04 kernel 4:15:0-47. Ubuntu's Software and Updates app found the r8812au network driver and everything went very smoothly with good network connection, until two weeks later when I did a software update. As soon as the kernel was updated to 4:15:0-48 I had no wifi - although the machine saw the USB device (lsusb) the Settings tab told me there was no wireless device connected. It was as dead as a dodo.

I restarted the machine and selected the previous kernel from GRUB's boot options tab - I immediately had wireless connectivity again. Clearly, the problem is with the kernel.

My question is what to do from here? If I maintain the previous kernel (taking care to avoid future software updates) will that take me off the update trail? Every time Software Updater tells me there are updates available I will have to ensure that the kernel does not update and then there's a possibility that my system could fail the software pre-requisites for other updates.

I would appreciate any advice on what to do in this situation.

Thanks in anticipation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: TP-Link wireless adapter worked until Kernel update to 4:15:0-48

That is an issue with the Makefile and/or dkms.conf file of the package, see https://askubuntu.com/a/832741/300665 for instructions on how to fix