Thread: Issue with updating and installing softwares

Beans

Question Issue with updating and installing softwares

Hi there,

I'm not only new to Ubuntu but new to programming in general; I'm sorry in advance for the stupidity of my question(s).

I've been looking around online for a while to troubleshoot my issues, and although I've found questions re: similar problems, I'm too much of a beginner to understand the language used to describe the fixes that are suggested. I need explanations that are a little in-depth/basic.

I've been trying to install new software but I keep getting errors re: Release files, like this when I try to update via terminal

Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: The repository 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty Release' does not have a Release file.
    N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    E: The repository 'http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty-security Release' does no longer have a Release file.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
    I'm afraid that if I keep trying to fix things on my own with my limited understanding of what I'm doing, I'll just keep breaking stuff...

So yeah, if you don't mind helping a desperate newbie, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by deadflowr; May 15th, 2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: code tags

Beans

Re: Issue with updating and installing softwares

Zesty repositories are end of life and no longer supported.

Is it Ubuntu 17.04 that you are using ?

Code:
    cat /etc/*-release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

That is because zesty is no longer supported, is 17.04 what you are running? if so please upgrade to a supported version of ubuntu, I recommend 18.04 LTS because it has 5 years of support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Basically, you're running an old and no longer supported version of Ubuntu.
    Consider downloading a fresh clean version, such as Ubuntu 18.04 (codename: bionic) from Ubuntu:
    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Ubuntu 18.04 is a long term supported release.
    And is supported until 2023.

(FTR, the version you have was Ubuntu 17.04 (codename: zesty) which was not a long term supported release and only had 9 months of support.
    That supported ended in January 2018).
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Recommendation is to do a clean install of 18.04 - ie install from scratch, wiping out 17.04, not attempting to upgrade it.
    Of course, if you have any precious data, back it up to external media first, and note any non-default settings you value.
    There are more irrational numbers than there are digits in the full expansion of pi.

Beans

Thanks a lot, I'll clean the slate and start over!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

If you're reinstalling, it's a good idea to have a separate /home partition. Then, reinstallations are a breeze. Always back up /home, of course.

Here's how:https://www.maketecheasier.com/insta...e-hard-drives/.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

i am instaling any sofware