Thread: Is ubuntu a good fit for me?

Beans

Is ubuntu a good fit for me?

Hi all, before taking the plug into something different, I thought I would just ask if I should make the switch to Linux.

As I sit here typing this my new widows 10 is updating again, slowing every thing down and driving me nuts. I've tried everything to shut them off but nothing works. I'm so sick of them owing my time. I want a change from windows, Here are my main concerns.

I have erthernet for internet, is Ubuntu going to work okay with that?
    How hard is it to install on a dual boot with windows? I've watched serveral videos and think I can, but I've never attempted this before.
    All I do on the net is watch videos and play a few games, I'm not a gamer by any stretch, is Ubuntu good for that?
    If I like it and want to finally get windows off my computer how hard is that to do?
    Lastly, if everything goes right on the install, when Ubuntu is running, is windows going to be running as well?
    Thanks for any help.
    Kamie

Beans

Re: Is ubuntu a good fit for me?

The link below is the Ubuntu documentation on dual booting with windows 10 so I would suggest you read it thoroughly before beginning.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Most ethernet connections should just work unless you have some unusual hardware.
    If you install Ubuntu and then decide to get rid of windows, just format the windows partition and create a Linux filesystem on the partition(s).
    Ubuntu (Linux) and windows are separate, distinct operating systems and won't run at the same time unless you have one using virtualization software such as VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.

Beans

You can first burn a DVD and try it out. No need to install it right off. There are different operating systems to fit your needs and your computer hardware.

What do you have for a cpu? How much ram do you have? And what kind of video card?

Beans

Your main problem might be with the games you play. Linux/Ubuntu have games and Stream has some games that will play, but not all Windows games can be found to play on Linux. If you have game/s you 'have' to play, a fast google search of the name and linux/ubuntu should tell you if it can be played. My main turn off of windows is their updates also. Your main objectives with dual boot is to give yourself enough space, about 20 to 25gb for / partition, and /home should be as much as you can give it. Divide your hard drive about half for windows and the other half for ubuntu, if you have the empty space. If you have an USB stick lying around, you can put linux ISOs on it and try them out without installing and find one that you like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans

I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong place. Had no idea how this forum worked.

I'd been watching this video a lot, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ykDpSzpKU Everything made since. Updated freaking windoww tonight and it took a good hour, thought they would leave me alone for the time needed to at least download Ubuntu...............LOL Didn't happen. Right about half way trough the Ubuntu download before installing deluge, my laptop started slowing way down, and windows had 5 new updates downloading.

Can't handle windows 10 anymore, I need a switch any switch. Thank goodness I still have an older windows 8 machine to research. Every single time I turn on 10 and connect it updates...................I CAN'T take it!!!! HELP.

To cruzer001
    My 10 laptop is a cheaper levono 64bit 8g, I have no idea what my video card is.
    I hate 10 so much I installed classic shell, but this last update messed that up too. Honestly can't find my video card.

crip720, I don't think solitaire or crosswords are what you are talking about, but that is all I play.

Should I just buy a new computer? How the hell am I going to make Ubuntu work, if 10 isn't going to let me download it?

Sorry for the ranting, I'm 50, I earn a rant hear and there. LOL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kamie View Post
    Can't handle windows 10 anymore, I need a switch any switch. Thank goodness I still have an older windows 8 machine to research. Every single time I turn on 10 and connect it updates...................I CAN'T take it!!!! HELP.
    probably home version. latest win10 upgrade will allow users on home version as well to move the update schedule. however OS updates are still important since they patch security vulnerabilities. windows does it once a month (unless there is any critical security hole). Linux does it almost every day, but one can decide when and what to install or schedule auto updates. this was same in windows however people dint' update their machines and then blamed Windows for their machine being compromised.

I hate 10 so much I installed classic shell, but this last update messed that up too. Honestly can't find my video card.
    video card info should be available in UEFI.

Should I just buy a new computer? How the hell am I going to make Ubuntu work, if 10 isn't going to let me download it?
    there are a couple of shops offering DVD and USB keys of linux distributions. when you get one to boot you can download all other. i would say upgrade&update the Win 10; repair it, then download Linux and try it out in live session.

otherwise for your kind of things linux is perfect. for me the only issue is still gaming (not crosswords but other games). however even that (and to some point) can be resolved. i play mostly old games since the PC is old anyway. many old games work fine in linux. as for browsing online, watching videos, listening to music, some light office work, editing movies, editing photos, watching & managing family photos linux desktop works just fine and does it's job well... we bought a business grade laptop for my father. came preloaded with SUSE Enterprise linux. but it's repositories (programs) were not accessible or had only 30 days demo mode. anyway we then installed Kubuntu on the laptop with a promise to install windows if he felt the need for it or if he needed some programs we couldn't get to work. it's been quite some time and he is still on linux. mostly he is using the laptop for internet and to watch videos and photos.

i did a similar thing to my wife. put together a PC from old part and installed linux on it. if she felt the need for windows i would install that later on. but so far linux is still there after 9 years. she used it to process photos, do some webdesign (created her own website), watch videos, internet... lately there seems to be more issues with hardware rather then software.

to sum up:
    - for gaming it is till best to use windows
    - if certain professional software needs to be used that only has windows version (MS Office, Photoshop, CAD... ) - use windows or if you want and can pay more you can also use MacOS (MS office has mac version for example as well as Photoshop i believe)
    - for internet browsing, media consumption and creation - Linux can be used just fine (but you can also use Windows, Android, Tizen, iOS, MacOS, FreeBSD...)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think you'll find Ubuntu will work well for you but as other's have suggested download ubuntu and burn it to usb/dvd and try it live for a bit see if it's a good fit.
    You may want to try a few of the different desktop version like xubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu-mate etc to see which one you fits your needs best.
    Good luck in your search. If your machine has Nvidia graphics card you may need to take some special steps to get it going, but it will work.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Better than a DVD, which is slower than dirt, use a USB flash drive; 8GB is as small as you can get it. Etcher, available for Windows, is the best way to burn a USB. Before doing that, format the USB as FAT only, and everything will go swimmingly. Then, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from USB, boot that USB, and try it out. There are several lightweight Ubuntu distros. My own preference is Ubuntu MATE, which is extremely configurable. In fact, it is the best distro I, personally, have ever used, and it's perfect for beginners, and old hands.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you can . . . buying a pre-intalled Linux PC is the simplest and best option in my view. Since the widespread adoption of uefi versus legacy or standard bios, it "can be" quite complex to install Ubuntu. Getting a System 76 desktop or laptop makes running Linux a breeze. The setup takes maybe 10 minutes. Great way to learn and excellent support from System 76 & various online forums such as this one.

https://system76.com/
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/