Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to upgrade to 18.10

Beans

Unable to upgrade to 18.10

I can not upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10 on my computer. No matter what I try, when I reboot into 1810 I eventually see the boot screen message:

"fsckd-cancel-msg: Press Ctrl-C to cancel all filesystem checks"

and nothing further occurs.

Does anybody know how I can determine what is causing my problem ? I have checked my partitions with fsck and everything is fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Unable to upgrade to 18.10

For any lurkers ...

fsck happens to all file systems after a specific number of reboots. It is automatic. You can alter how often it happens for ext4/3 file systems using tune2fs. Probably best not to alter it on a normal desktop.
    If you can, boot from alternate boot media (like the Try Ubuntu install disk), then run fsck on each partition. If there are errors, copy/paste those back here using Adv Reply (#) - that code tags. If you didn't boot from alternate media, then you haven't run fsck on every partition. If you aren't positive how to accomplish it, run lsblk and copy/paste it here, using code tags so the indentation is correct.

Upgrades between releases isn't something to do on a whim. The system needs to be fully up-to-date before starting. That would be sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade working without any errors. Errors tend to explode during release migrations. I've never seen a problem system get better by forcing a new release. Reboot if anything gets installed, then make a full know-you-can-restore backup. Not optional.

We are all different, but I would stay on 18.04 which is an LTS release with 5 yrs of patches and wait for a few months after the next LTS is released in 20.04. If you move passed 18.04, then you are signing up to install a new OS every 6 months until 20.04 is released.

Support for 18.10 ends shortly, about 6 weeks. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases Non-LTS releases have 6-9 months of support.

Beans

Just to agree I would not upgrade to 18.10 without some compelling reason. I'd wait for 20.04 at least.
    I wouldn't even attempt an upgrade unless everything was working as expected.
    I don't understand what you mean by "when I reboot into 18.10"
    If you're running 18.04 how are you booting into 18.10? Are you attempting a release upgrade? If so how are your doing that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    For any lurkers ...

fsck happens to all file systems after a specific number of reboots. It is automatic. You can alter how often it happens for ext4/3 file systems using tune2fs. Probably best not to alter it on a normal desktop.
    If you can, boot from alternate boot media (like the Try Ubuntu install disk), then run fsck on each partition. If there are errors, copy/paste those back here using Adv Reply (#) - that code tags. If you didn't boot from alternate media, then you haven't run fsck on every partition. If you aren't positive how to accomplish it, run lsblk and copy/paste it here, using code tags so the indentation is correct.

Upgrades between releases isn't something to do on a whim. The system needs to be fully up-to-date before starting. That would be sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade working without any errors. Errors tend to explode during release migrations. I've never seen a problem system get better by forcing a new release. Reboot if anything gets installed, then make a full know-you-can-restore backup. Not optional.

We are all different, but I would stay on 18.04 which is an LTS release with 5 yrs of patches and wait for a few months after the next LTS is released in 20.04. If you move passed 18.04, then you are signing up to install a new OS every 6 months until 20.04 is released.

Support for 18.10 ends shortly, about 6 weeks. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases Non-LTS releases have 6-9 months of support.
    I did boot from alternative media, the Ubuntu 18.04 installation disk. I did run fsck on each Ubuntu partition. There were no errors or problems of any kind.

I am trying to upgrade from 18.04 to 19.04 but can not do this through the Ubuntu GUI environment. Instead, in the GUI environment, I have to go to 18.10 first and then from 18.10 to 19.04. Therefore my only reason for going from 18.04 to 18.10 is so I can go to 19.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Just to agree I would not upgrade to 18.10 without some compelling reason. I'd wait for 20.04 at least.
    I wouldn't even attempt an upgrade unless everything was working as expected.
    I don't understand what you mean by "when I reboot into 18.10"
    If you're running 18.04 how are you booting into 18.10? Are you attempting a release upgrade? If so how are your doing that?
    I am trying to go from 18.04 to 19.04 using the GUI environment. In this environment I must do 18.04 -> 18.10 -> 19.04.

After running the upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10 in the GUI environment the instructions tell me to reboot my machine to complete the upgrade. When I reboot my machine the grub2 menu choice eventually gives me a boot screen with boot messages. The last message I see is the 'fsckd... etc." and the bootup freezes at that point and no further messages occur.

Beans

Are you saying that grub does not give you a choice to boot into 18.10 or other options? Or does it offer that choice then drop you into a shell of some sort?

I have found doing release upgraded from the command line is less of a problem, at least for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you run sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade without any errors being reported before starting? You'll need to do the same with 18.10 before trying to move to 19.04 as well.

I must say, I've never used the GUI tools for OS migrations. If that is your need, someone else will need to help.
    I always use sudo do-release-upgrade from a prompt.

Beans

I discovered recently that do-release-upgrade does not require a sudo. It will download the upgrade software then prompt for authorization. I'm not sure whether it's always been that way.

Beans

I discovered recently that do-release-upgrade does not require a sudo . It will download the upgrade software then prompt for authorization. I'm not sure whether it's always been that way.
    Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; 3 Days Ago at 11:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Are you saying that grub does not give you a choice to boot into 18.10 or other options? Or does it offer that choice then drop you into a shell of some sort?

I have found doing release upgraded from the command line is less of a problem, at least for me.
    I am saying that once the GUI upgrade is complete and I am told to reboot, the grub2 screen shows the boot to the kernel for 18.10 as the default, and after I choose the default the bootup sequence hangs after showing the "fsckd..." messages as the last messages I see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast