Thread: filesystems remount by itself

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

filesystems remount by itself

I was rearranging the storage on a freshly installed 18.04 and was mounting and unmounting lots of filesystems. Several times filesystems I unmounted with 'umount /dev/sda1' were remounted back without any action on my part, and were quite persistent about it. I did check specifically - filesystems were indeed unmounted and came back, not failed to unmount:

umount /dev/sda1 - no errors
    mount|grep sda1 - nothing
    trying to do something with /dev/sda e.g. edit partition table - parted tells me that it is use and when I check again /dev/sda1 is now mounted at the same mountpoint

As far as I can remember all affected filesystems had entries in fstab but deleting these entries didn't resolve the issue, I had to reboot. Sometimes it got quite ugly e.g. I unmounted /dev/sda1, mounted /dev/sdb1 to the same mountpoint and it was silently replaced with /dev/sda1 - I nearly deleted some valuable data. Who is the culprit and how can I stop it from happening?

Beans

Re: filesystems remount by itself

It is Gnome that very helpfully does it for you.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, forgot to tell that it was freshly installed *kubuntu* 18.04.

Beans

Well, then it is KDE that is helpfully doing it for you.

The problem is that there is no single mechanism for handling system events - every desktop system does it differently.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, what should I do to unmount filesystem permanently without any chance of it coming back? Ideally, what should I do to disable this annoying and dangerous feature?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you mounting by using device like /dev/sda1. Whether any drive is sda, is determined by drive order set by UEFI/BIOS. And that can vary.
    My system will put a USB flash drive as sda, changing every other drive.
    That is why UUIDs became the standard or you can use labels which I now like to mount partition. I do label all partitions particularly those I only mount occasionally so I know what they are.

post this:
    lsblk -o name,mountpoint,label,size,fstype,uuid,partuuid | egrep -v "^loop"
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.