Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 suspend hardblocking bcm43142 wifi

Beans

Question Ubuntu 18.04 suspend hardblocking bcm43142 wifi

Hello everyone,

I am using ubuntu 18.04 on a dual booted HP Pavilion Notebook -17-g005nx (ENERGY STAR). (ubuntu/windows 10) UEFI with secure boot.I'm also using a cheap chinese usb wifi adapter/antenna for better wireless connection.

Upon bootup from OFF state, both cards work properly. However, after a wakeup from suspend both get disabled and produce the following:

Code:
    user@computer:~$ rfkill list all
    4:phy2: Wireless LAN
    Softblocked: no
    Hardblocked: no
    13:phy7: Wireless LAN
    Hardblocked: no
    14:brcmwl-0: Wireless LAN
    Hardblocked: yes
    What I tried:

After checking:
    Code:
    user@computer:~$ lspci -knn
    ..scrolling down to bcm43142
    Code:
    08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01)
                Subsystem:Hewlett-Packard Company BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [103c:804a]
                Kernelmodules: bcma, wl
    ...reseting bcma/wl module
    Code:
    user@computer:~$ sudo modprobe -r bcma
    user@computer:~$ sudo modprobe bcma
    user@computer:~$ sudo modprobe -r wl
    user@computer:~$ sudo modprobe wl
    but it didn't work..

However: disabling wl module, which disables BCM43142, enables the cheap usb wifi. Resetting it back however disables both of them again.

Also tried: creating a file called config inside /etc/pm/config.d/ and giving it executable permission (chmod +x). Also tried putting the file inside /etc/pm/sleep.d.
    Code:
    user@computer:~$
    Code:
    cat /etc/pm/config.d/config
    SUSPEND_MODULES="wl0,rt2800usb"

But none of these helped so far.. How can I get around this issue?
    Last edited by hopefeda; May 13th, 2019 at 07:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 suspend hardblocking bcm43142 wifi

If the cheap Chinese USB works better, why do you need the internal Broadcom to work at all? Why not simply blacklist wl?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 suspend hardblocking bcm43142 wifi

The cheap Chinese USB wifi is kind of huge and not practically portable.. So when I move around with my laptop I still need my built-in wifi and the ubuntu suspend functionality. Initially, I wanted to hibernate but since Linux can't deal with Secure Boot and hibernation I just settled for suspend, which also turns out to be problematic. What good is a laptop nowadays with not sleep and hibernation functionalities? This is why I want to take the hard road and fix the issue rather than just opting back into windows.