Thread: newbie help - WIFI adapter installation

Beans

newbie help - WIFI adapter installation

Hello I built my first computer and installed Ubuntu from a USB. I am trying to use a TP-link AC600 wifi adapter to connect to my wifi, but it is not working. Can anyone help me install it step by step. I am very new at ubuntu and I am learning as I go. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

- Damien

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: newbie help - WIFI adapter installation

Let's find out exactly what you have. Please insert the device, open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and run the command:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Post the result.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hello, it lists a couple of things but the wifi adapter is
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:761a Ralink Technology, Corp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please see the very long and ultimaetly unsuccessful thread here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1083...083342#1083342

As well, see my posts introducing the proposed solution.

If you look forward to a long, frustrating and probably unsuccessful next several days and 50-60 replies here, then, by all means, proceed.

If not, I recommend that you return the device and, after consulting the sticky above, buy a fully supported device that will work out of the box. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2397914

I wish I had a better answer.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.