Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install says no hard drive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Install says no hard drive

What model Cannon scanner? Mine is N1220U, and builtin Ubuntu scanner works very well. VueScan was the only one that worked for Windows.

Beans

Booted "ultimate boot disc" and ran memtest. No errors (2 passes) Seems the memory is OK. My son (know more about computers than me) suggested removing hard drive and re-inserting (maybe bad connections) Also, I will confirm what brand the hard drive is and get proper utility to diagnose drive.

Beans

Scanner is canon 9950f and I am aware of vuescan. Great software... not free, but affordable (will try it when I can) Also like turboprint for printing.

Beans

Using a hard drive diagnostic that is on my "ultimate boot disc" Running scan for bad sectors... will take several hours so I'll post results later.

Beans

Hard drive seems OK (used HDAT2) Took all night to scan.

Beans

Got ubuntu 16.04 to install, but had issues during install. Did restart and got message about graphics. Looked it up and I don't meet system requirements (RAM and graphics) Going back to ubuntu 12 0r 14. Don't really need windows because I'm using free version of viewscan.

Beans

My old laptop is doing fine... went back to ubuntu 12.04 RAM and graphics OK. Still don't know why windows xp install didn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by acefromspace View Post
    My old laptop is doing fine... went back to ubuntu 12.04 RAM and graphics OK. Still don't know why windows xp install didn't work.
    Unsupported OSes shouldn't be used connected to the internet. This is NOT debatable!
    Either Ubuntu 12.04 - support ended in 2017 - and especially Windows XP - support ended in 2014!!! - shouldn't be used outside of retrocomputing experiments, without internet connection, and by more experienced users.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12