Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18.04.2 - Help a Ubuntu/Linux noob get a Radeon HD 7850 working

Beans

18.04.2 - Help a Ubuntu/Linux noob get a Radeon HD 7850 working

First off, it may be worth mentioning that this gpu, or at least the one in my system, doesn't get detected or work at all without a driver installed. Hence, I can only use the onboard graphics in the meantime. With Windows 7, I could just run the AMD auto detection utility to detect the gpu and install the drivers, and it would work.

Initially when I didn't realise the intricacies of installing amd drivers on Ubuntu, I ran
    Code:
    amdgpu-pro-install
    which I don't think is compatible with this gpu based on my subsequent readings. I couldn't determine if opencl was necessary so just ran
    Code:
    opencl=legacy
    along with the amdgpu-pro-install. Upon restart, it got stuck in boot at Gnome display manager with a flashing screen. So I booted into recovery and ran
    Code:
    amdgpu-pro-uninstall
    and was then able to boot into Ubuntu as normal.

This time I ran
    Code:
    amdgpu-install
    instead, again with opencl=legacy. I restarted and was able to boot into Ubuntu as per normal. But I don't know what to do now because the gpu still doesn't work and I can't find any indication online as to what I should do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 18.04.2 - Help a Ubuntu/Linux noob get a Radeon HD 7850 working

Can we please have some info on your system? Make, model, etc.

Beans

Hi Autodave, thanks for replying.

What I can tell you right now is that I'm running a Sandybridge i7-2600k on an Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3. This pc is a hand-me-down from a friend and honestly, beyond knowing that the the gpu is a Radeon HD 7850, I've never determined the precise model, largely I think because it's one of those stripped down versions with the PCB and not much else. If necessary, I can try to find out, but for certain reasons, it will take some time and i'm not certain I'll be able to find out.

Let me know if there is any more info I can provide.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

As far as I recall, the HDx series do not work with the AMDGPU drivers; instead, you need one of the more recent cards.

With that GPU, I believe you are limited to the default open-source drivers.
    Ubuntu 17.10 Mate, Mint 18.3 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

https://www.amd.com/en/support That site will lead you to the most current driver. The site says that the driver was released less than a month ago.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Some HD 7xxx series and HD 8xxx series work with AMDGPU because they were really precursors to the newer hardware and were GCN 1.0.

In the case of the HD 7850, though, you are out of luck. I'd just go with the default Radeon driver.

But you may want to blacklist the driver for the on-die graphics with your CPU.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    https://www.amd.com/en/support That site will lead you to the most current driver. The site says that the driver was released less than a month ago.
    So I probably should've mentioned in my original post that I had already downloaded the drivers from amd's site and that the steps I followed were based on the instructions provided with the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    As far as I recall, the HDx series do not work with the AMDGPU drivers; instead, you need one of the more recent cards.

With that GPU, I believe you are limited to the default open-source drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Some HD 7xxx series and HD 8xxx series work with AMDGPU because they were really precursors to the newer hardware and were GCN 1.0.

In the case of the HD 7850, though, you are out of luck. I'd just go with the default Radeon driver.

But you may want to blacklist the driver for the on-die graphics with your CPU.
    So I keep reading about the default open-source drivers that are supposed to be pre-installed with ubuntu, but being new to the OS, I can't figure out how to find the driver or determine its status, despite all I've read online. All I know is that when I plug my monitor into the gpu, the display goes to sleep and nothing shows. Could you guys give me directions for the open-source driver?

Thank you for your assistance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 User Manual can be accessed and downloaded here, chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3.pdf

Page 48
    3.4.2 North Bridge Configuration
    Primary Graphics Adapter
    This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI Express]

Make sure [PCI Express] is selected.
    Also make sure your HDMI/DVI/VGA cable is connected to the graphics card connector, and NOT the mainboard connector.

On this AMD website page, https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph...radeon-hd-7850, the Radeon driver is indicated as the correct driver for the Radeon HD 7850. Both Radeon and AmdGPU drivers are in the repository.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 User Manual can be accessed and downloaded here, chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3.pdf

Page 48
    3.4.2 North Bridge Configuration
    Primary Graphics Adapter
    This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI Express]

Make sure [PCI Express] is selected.
    Also make sure your HDMI/DVI/VGA cable is connected to the graphics card connector, and NOT the mainboard connector.

On this AMD website page, https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph...radeon-hd-7850, the Radeon driver is indicated as the correct driver for the Radeon HD 7850. Both Radeon and AmdGPU drivers are in the repository.
    Yes, the UEFI was already set to PCI-E as the primary graphics adapter.

That said, I couldn't seem to get a picture plugged into the GPU and had to install Ubuntu using the mainboard graphics. I never thought I'd have to ask this, but does the monitor need to be plugged into the GPU during installation of Ubuntu for the GPU to be recognized and for the driver to be installed?

And yes, I downloaded the driver from that page.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

does the monitor need to be plugged into the GPU during installation of Ubuntu
    No. How else would people be able to upgrade to external graphics cards?
    I just did this not too long ago from AMD APU w/internal graphics to external Nvidia GT 720 Graphics card.
    From what I remember, you may need to reboot a couple of times before the OS recognizes the newly installed graphics card.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast