Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18.04.2 - Help a Ubuntu/Linux noob get a Radeon HD 7850 working

Beans

Re: 18.04.2 - Help a Ubuntu/Linux noob get a Radeon HD 7850 working

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    No. How else would people be able to upgrade to external graphics cards?
    Exactly. That's why I never thought I'd ask such a question.

I just did this not too long ago from AMD APU w/internal graphics to external Nvidia GT 720 Graphics card.
    From what I remember, you may need to reboot a couple of times before the OS recognizes the newly installed graphics card.
    Were you able to get output from the GT 720 before installing the driver?

Thinking about it more and more, I think there's just something 'wrong' with my card that prevents it from being detected, it's clear from lspci that it is just not recognized. The same thing kind of happens on Windows but AMD's auto-detection Windows utility seems to invoke something that triggers the gpu to be detected so I think I'm going to have to revert to Windows 7 or dual boot to possibly get the gpu recognized on Ubuntu.

EDIT: The only other possible consideration is the bios/uefi firmware https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z68%...index.asp#BIOS. The current one is 2.30. What's the likelihood that updating to 2.30b, which is apparently a beta bios, would fix the issue. I've never updated a bios/uefi before, and though it seems simple enough, I'm worried about breaking the pc from some unforeseeable error.
    Last edited by tvdp; 1 Week Ago at 05:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Were you able to get output from the GT 720 before installing the driver?
    Yes, I think so. That's why I suggested rebooting a couple of times. For the Nvidia cards there is the nouveau open source driver that eventually loads (if my memory serves me correctly) then one can load from Additional Drivers.
    I remember being a little frustrated but one just has to be persistent. Most folks only do that once per release so they forget. When you initially boot from USB/DVD to install, if your graphics card is already installed, choose to install 3rd party drivers when given the choice. I never had any problems with doing that, but I do not speak for others.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

Yes, I think so. That's why I suggested rebooting a couple of times. For the Nvidia cards there is the nouveau open source driver that eventually loads (if my memory serves me correctly) then one can load from Additional Drivers.
    I remember being a little frustrated but one just has to be persistent. Most folks only do that once per release so they forget. When you initially boot from USB/DVD to install, if your graphics card is already installed, choose to install 3rd party drivers when given the choice. I never had any problems with doing that, but I do not speak for others.
    Thanks. I can give that a try, but so far I haven't been prompted to install any third party drivers.

Beans

So I opened and re-checked my PC for the second time and it turns out that the PCI-E power cable for the GPU had inadvertently dislodged from the PSU and I hadn't noticed due to the PC's unavoidably restricted and awkward positioning.

By the time I figured this out I had already re-installed Windows 7, so I've since installed the Windows driver and dual booted Ubuntu, but whatever it is, the GPU now works in Ubuntu like it's supposed to.

So the only thing I'm wondering about now is amdgpu. From what I gather, since the GPU now works, I should just leave it be and should not have to download and install amdgpu, even for gaming. Could anyone who still sees this post confirm?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

the GPU now works in Ubuntu
    You did not state which driver is loaded for the graphics adapter.
    If you are satisfied with performance then keep what you have.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12