Thread: screen freeze with wired iphone hotspot

Beans

screen freeze with wired iphone hotspot

When I connect my iPhone (model: SE) wired USB hotspot and use more than 1 or 2 mb/sec, after 2-10 minutes, whatever is on the screen freezes / stops moving.

Using a different USB outlet on my laptop does not help. I bought a brand new cable and it did not help. Completely fresh reinstalling ubuntu on my hard drive does not help. I was able to reproduce the freeze while running ubuntu from a bootable USB. I have a second internal hard drive running Windows 10 OS and it runs great with no freezing.

Details of the freezing:
    The only thing that works while frozen is Fn+F4 which changes the keyboard backlight.
    alt+SysRq+reisub does nothing while it's frozen.
    alt+f1 & alt+f7 seems to make "holding down the power button to hard shut it off" ("hard shutdown" from now on) not as traumatizing... what I mean by this is that when I hard shutdown, there is some big string of zeros in the system logs at the moment when I hard shutdown. (I got a log generator from my manufacturer (www.system76.com)), but when I alt+f1&f7 while frozen before hard shutdown, there is no long string of zeros in the logs.

Also: sometimes it does this freezing thing while on the grub screen, but only immediately after a hard shutdown that I did because of freezing.
    Also: I can not open system monitor since doing heavy testing with the freezing a couple days ago.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Beans

Re: screen freeze with wired iphone hotspot

Today I was unable to make it freeze while on wireless hotspot on Ubuntu, and also unable to make it freeze on wired hotspot in windows OS.

Beans

I am having the exact same issue. Is there any news regarding this?

BTW: I run Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.15.0-54-generic + iPhone 6S with iOS 12.3.1

Beans

My fix: every time I plug my phone in to my computer while connected to wireless phone hotspot, I make sure to immediately disconnect the wired internet connection that automatically establishes, in the menu near wifi