Page 7 of 299 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Beans

Smile Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Any possibility of making title width dynamic according to the application name and position it left to the menu (left side the screen)

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by jannol View Post
    there's no need to reinstall the deb, did you remove the menubar from the panel? And the panel restarting can be temporarily disabled from the sessions properties, if you remove the menubar you dont need to use any GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC=1. I tried using the panel with the menubar on it using GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC=1 but no go for me although I don't use that menu anyways.
    Well the only way I've been able to stop the looping is to install the Ubuntu update so if I want to try to get it working I've got to reapply the .deb.

However, I have removed the 'menubar' from the panel and I can apply the .deb and restart gnome-panel but all I'm getting is the standard gnome-panel, not the Mac-style Menu Bar. I'm launching gnome-panel from the command line.

Here's the error I'm getting when I try to launch from the command line:

"robor007@Home-T42-Ubuntu:~/Themes/MacOSXGtkMenuBar$ sudo gnome-panel restart
    (gnome-panel:5523): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed
    ** ERROR **: file /build/buildd/gnome-panel-2.14.3/./gnome-panel/panel-menu-bar.c: line 263 (panel_menu_bar_parent_set): assertion failed: (!widget->parent || PANEL_IS_WIDGET (widget->parent))
    "

This is my ~./xsession-errors:

Code:
    robor007@Home-T42-Ubuntu:~$ cat .xsession-errors
    /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
    /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "robor007"
    /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
    SESSION_MANAGER=local/Home-T42-Ubuntu:/tmp/.ICE-unix/5004
    Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
    Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

(gnome-panel:5075): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed
    Starting gdesklets-daemon...
    Connected to daemon in 6943 milliseconds.

(gnome-terminal:5238): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-terminal:5238): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-terminal:5238): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-panel:5075): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-panel:5075): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    Cutting log (size: 101846, max: 100000)
    (gnome-panel:5952): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so [/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so: undefined symbol: XtCalloc]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so [/usr/lib/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so: undefined symbol: XtCalloc]

(gnome-panel:6290): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed

(gnome-panel:6329): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed

(gnome-panel:6329): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-panel:6329): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-panel:6498): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed

(gnome-panel:6526): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed

(gnome-panel:6526): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    Last edited by Robor; September 26th, 2006 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I got a same problem? Need help please... Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Robor View Post
    Well the only way I've been able to stop the looping is to install the Ubuntu update so if I want to try to get it working I've got to reapply the .deb.

However, I have removed the 'menubar' from the panel and I can apply the .deb and restart gnome-panel but all I'm getting is the standard gnome-panel, not the Mac-style Menu Bar. I'm launching gnome-panel from the command line.

Here's the error I'm getting when I try to launch from the command line:

"robor007@Home-T42-Ubuntu:~/Themes/MacOSXGtkMenuBar$ sudo gnome-panel restart
    (gnome-panel:5523): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed
    ** ERROR **: file /build/buildd/gnome-panel-2.14.3/./gnome-panel/panel-menu-bar.c: line 263 (panel_menu_bar_parent_set): assertion failed: (!widget->parent || PANEL_IS_WIDGET (widget->parent))
    "
    Why do you start gnome-panel as sudo? and I don't think there's any restart option for the gnome-panel command, that is done by the gnome-session.

The global menubar is standalone and doesn't start inside gnome-panel although that would be nice if it did. So there's no use of restarting gnome-panel or anything if it doesn't contain the applet menubar anymore, confusing with all the names huh?

if you installed all the debs needed, just open any gtk application ex gedit and you will see the menubar at the top as if it was a panel. You need to log out before the newly installed gtk libs kicks in.
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Why do you start gnome-panel as sudo? and I don't think there's any restart option for the gnome-panel command, that is done by the gnome-session.

The global menubar is standalone and doesn't start inside gnome-panel although that would be nice if it did. So there's no use of restarting gnome-panel or anything if it doesn't contain the applet menubar anymore, confusing with all the names huh?

if you installed all the debs needed, just open any gtk application ex gedit and you will see the menubar at the top as if it was a panel. You need to log out before the newly installed gtk libs kicks in.
    Okay, now I'm *really* confused. What is the 'global menubar' that I'm supposed to disable/remove? What I'm doing is going to my gnome-panel, right clicking on the 'menu bar' piece, and selecting remove from panel. I looked in my 'sessions' while in Gnome and I don't have any menu-bar or menubar listed there. There's nothing about it in my startup programs either. Maybe I'm not using it and this is a snipe hunt?

I only installed the .deb file done by flargen and it doesn't produce any errors. Is there something more I'm supposed to be doing? After I do that I was doing a killall on gnome-panel then restarting it. After that, if I open gedit I do get a bar at the top of the screen but I don't have the Mac-style launcher that I'm trying to get.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The global menubar is the Mac-style menu bar and it's NOT a launcher if you by that meant "some panel with application launchers", if thats what you want you are in the wrong thread.

This Mac-style menu bar aka global menubar widget is simply a method to have all the windows menubar (ex File Edit etc.) as a top panel instead of having it inside every window.

The bug about the gnome applet menubar is that there's an applet that is default for ubuntu setups with the menubar (yes also called menubar) that contains the applications, places and system with its submenus and that applet doesn't work very well if using this mac-style menu bar.

This global menubar (mac-style menubar) is not a replacement for that applet.

I hope you understand better now and I am sorry if I was unclear.
    Last edited by jannol; September 26th, 2006 at 11:52 PM.
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Beans

I think effort of this project is to make an "Mac-style Menu Bar", which should support global menubar as well as applets on it (Like the one OSX already have; perhaps KDE as well). Hope this will be implemented in long term.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Smile Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

The global menubar is the Mac-style menu bar and it's NOT a launcher if you by that meant "some panel with application launchers", if thats what you want you are in the wrong thread.

This Mac-style menu bar aka global menubar widget is simply a method to have all the windows menubar (ex File Edit etc.) as a top panel instead of having it inside every window.

The bug about the gnome applet menubar is that there's an applet that is default for ubuntu setups with the menubar (yes also called menubar) that contains the applications, places and system with its submenus and that applet doesn't work very well if using this mac-style menu bar.

This global menubar (mac-style menubar) is not a replacement for that applet.

I hope you understand better now and I am sorry if I was unclear.
    Ahhhh... When I saw the OP's message titled 'Mac-style Menu Bar' and his screenshot with that launcher bar that looks like the one on OS X I thought that's what he was talking about. I actually have the 'global menubar' working when I use the .deb file. To be honest, I really don't like the way it works though. I prefer the menus to be in the individual applications rather than a single pane. Plus it adds another panel taking away desktop space (I like as much as I can get).

I'm sorry for the confusion. Thank you everyone for helping the noob here. If nothing else, I leared better how to troubleshoot X errors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Because the panel is actually covered by all the menubars of your applications

I make the menubar transparent rather than hidden when the app loses focus, so it can keep the dock space on desktop (that fixes your desktop icon alignment, maxmized windows, etc)
    Uh, how exactly do you stop the menubar from hiding itself on lost app-focus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

help me
    due to my foolishness i'm not able to boot into gnome. i just downloaded the package from http://aquila.deus.googlepages.com/g...3-2.pkg.tar.gz and replaced original contents.i was previously running gtk-2.4.0 version. n when i restarted i could not boot right. i've the mouse cursor busy..and gdm does'nt show up..help me or do i've to reinstall.
    thanx in advance

Page 7 of 299 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast