Thread: Lenovo E485 w/ 18.10 - Is it possible to edit kernel on USB before installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Question Lenovo E485 w/ 18.10 - Is it possible to edit kernel on USB before installation?

I am interested in installing Ubuntu 18.10 onto my Lenovo E485.

I found this article explaining how to do so: https://medium.com/@jthegedus/ubuntu...5-15e1d601473f

However, if this is a known issue... is it at all possible I can make these changes IN THE CODE ON THE USB STICK BEFORE I begin installation?

If anyone at all has any insight on this I would be very excited.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lenovo E485 w/ 18.10 - Is it possible to edit kernel on USB before installation?

It's possible, but why do you write in all caps ...?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Lenovo E485 w/ 18.10 - Is it possible to edit kernel on USB before installation?

If its possible, how do I accomplish this?

I posted elsewhere but folks misunderstood the order of code editing/installation I am hoping to achieve.

I want to edit the code BEFORE loading 18.10 onto a USB stick for installation. All caps and bold text emphasize the order in which things, I hope, should occur.

Beans

So you want to create your own customize .iso?

Since I have not done this lately, I cannot recommend any particular software. There are several ways to do this. Do a browser search on "create build custom iso ubuntu linux" and see if this is what your after.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think creating a custom iso is a huje overkill for what you want, which is boot from the installation media once, add some boot options, and install Ubuntu. It might take, ...don't know how long to accomplish the task, not to mention, that most howtos assume you already have an installed Linux distro somewhere, and will use it to follow instructions. Anyway, since there is no other way, here is a howto: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...a_Preseed_file. Good luck.

PS: I've not used any caps or bold, hope you can understand it ok.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; May 9th, 2019 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you tried installing 19.04? Do you know if the boot options are still necessary?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Hi mörgæs

Found this

Tested kernel versions: 4.15, 4.19, 5.0, 5.1-rc7

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203519

Beans
    Distro

lol,thanks.

i have new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed, and i desperately want it off of it. i also have a desktop with ubuntu 18.04 running.

i'll take a stab at that tutorial and see if I can get a smooth install.