Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is something you wish you knew about Ubuntu when you first started using it?

Beans

What is something you wish you knew about Ubuntu when you first started using it?

I am new to ubuntu and looking for friendly advice. What's something you learned with experience that you wish you knew about ubuntu when just starting out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What is something you wish you knew about Ubuntu when you first started using it?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: What is something you wish you knew about Ubuntu when you first started using it?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmt-media View Post
    I am new to ubuntu and looking for friendly advice. What's something you learned with experience that you wish you knew about ubuntu when just starting out?
    90% of Ubuntu is Unix. $1 Unix books for shell stuff are great.
    95% of all Linux is the same as Ubuntu, from the shell. If you learn the shell methods, you don't have to re-re-re-re-relearn GUIs every few years when some team decides to swap out your favorite GUI for something else.

Don't get hung up on "Ubuntu" It is just a flavor of Linux. The GUIs can be swapped out, as you like, in about 3-5 minutes. I've chosen to use a very simple GUI to avoid as many of the bloated changes that the "official" Ubuntu flavors keep picking. To me, functionality matters, not eye candy. Everyone has a different opinion about this, so YOUR correct answer is 100% fine, kewl, great. It is YOUR computer. Make it your own.

80% of the power from computers comes through automation, not point-n-click. Unix automation doesn't use any GUI. This means to get the most from a computer, learn to script, just a little, so tasks can be automated, batched, run daily, weekly, as you like.

But, if you plan to be an end-user, not a power-user, with Linux, then you can point-n-click to do most things that other OSes can do. It will just take longer and not be 100% repeatable. I still use tiny scripts that I wrote in the early 1990s that still work. Every time you solve a little problem, make a script, put it into your ~/bin/ directory and you'll have it forever, including the next time you need it or something very similar.

And the most important thing - daily, automatic, versioned, backups are mandatory.
    This is more important than anything else above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jsmt-media View Post
    Interesting statement. If your new, then there is nothing you should have known before starting out. One always has to start from some point.
    As TheFu stated rely on commands and how to make them work for you.

I started out with Linux with a long history in Unity, so "vi" was second nature. In Unix we had "ed" before "vi" and "sed" and a few other commands. I do use some gui or create my own.
    Everything you need is just a google away, books, YouTube(which I personally con't like.hate the music), forums. Many forums. Get second, third views of the same topic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i wish i knew more about permissions. they still seem a bit confusing to me. this is likely because English is not my first language.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i wish i knew more about permissions. they still seem a bit confusing to me. this is likely because English is not my first language.
    Can't believe I didn't mention that. Unix permissions are the cornerstone for all Unix/Linux security.

Learning them will save hours, days, weeks, months, of frustration. Work through a tutorial, should take about 45 min. Then open 3 terminals, create 3 new userids, put them into 2 shared unix groups and play around with every possible combination of permissions, groups, and NOT being a member of the group.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

The most important thing for new Ubuntu users is to ask questions right here, and it saved my hash more than once in the first year or two.

Look for the problem, to see if anyone has a solution. Look for [SOLVED] threads.

And if you can't find that problem, by all means ask a question. We all are benevolent volunteers, and I for one love helping anyone with a problem I can solve, or make easier.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Learning that a lot of other newbies had questions and most of them can be found by using google, then I can come here or to another forum, to maybe explain the answer better or adjust it for my setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You will find a great resource in the "New to Ubuntu" section on this forum. The search function works great (hint: set the time threshold to three months or so) and the people there are expecting "new user" questions and issues.
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu is Debian based Linux platform, I think this is the first thing you should know. Before considering any Linux to use, you should first decide which repository system you want to use. RPM and Debian based systems are commonly used ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast