Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is something you wish you knew about Ubuntu when you first started using it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: What is something you wish you knew about Ubuntu when you first started using it?

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Interesting statement. If your new, then there is nothing you should have known before starting out. One always has to start from some point.
    I agree in general, so now that you have started out the ps ux command in order to see active processes and then the kill -9 xxx, in order to stop an annoying application refusing to close can come up really handy.

edit: and startx, when there are those days, that you are tweaking your system, and no gui shows up after some... overtweaking!

Regards!
    Last edited by Claus7; 6 Days Ago at 10:23 AM.

Beans

Re: What is something you wish you knew about Ubuntu when you first started using it?

I would have to say more about the "flavors" -- it was a whole new world back when I discovered the different DE's.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

As an experienced Linux user, I'd have to say the ever-changing methods for managing client-side domain name resolution have been the most annoying feature so far. This isn't a problem that most ordinary users will encounter.

It wouldn't have kept me from using Ubuntu instead of Fedora or some other Linux flavor though. Even though I use KDE and Kubuntu rather than the default interface, I still find Ubuntu easy to install, maintain, and use.

If you're shopping around for a Linux distribution, one option is to install VirtualBox and then install the various Linux options as virtual machines. Going this route means you don't even need to burn DVDs or write USB devices. You just need to point to the distribution's ISO image during installation. VirtualBox has some limitations in advanced areas like video performance, but it's a quick way to try out multiple distros.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 5 Days Ago at 05:17 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12