Thread: High cpu usage when hoovering over dropdown menues & more

Beans

High cpu usage when hoovering over dropdown menues & more

Hello, this is my first post here, please don't be too harsh. I already googled the issue and since I'm not on 12.04 or use an AMD CPU/GPU I'm out of ideas.

My problem:
    Gnome uses up to ~50% of my CPU when just hoovering over dropdown menues like the one in the terminal. The system then laggs like crazy for .5-1 second before it opens the next dropdown column. A similar thing happens when I hoover over my panel but there CPU usage reaches up to 78%, interestingly withouth lagging as much. The problem seems to be 18.04 specific. I couldn't replicate the problem on a standard Manjaro desktop. I didn't test any other Gnome based distributions yet.

I use a Thinkpad x230, i5, 4gb RAM and a 320gb HDD.

Here a screenshot from htop to visualize the problem:

Screenshot.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/9fXvFNu (link if the attachment doesn't work)

Lg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: High cpu usage when hoovering over dropdown menues & more

Numerous people seem to be reporting high cpu/memory issues using Gnome-Shell. My Intel i3 system with integrated graphics, lagged & stuttered considerably. I can't help you with your issue other than to suggest using Ubuntu Budgie or Xubuntu, neither of which have that issue.

Beans

Hello, thank you for the tip but I'd prefer Gnome. It turned out that wayland was causing the issues. Everything works perfectly smooth on X11. This post can be closed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Not surprising. Wayland still has some quirks. Hence it's not enabled by default in 18.04.