Thread: How to download version 3 of ffmpeg on Ubuntu 16.04

Beans

How to download version 3 of ffmpeg on Ubuntu 16.04

I have been trying to install ffmpeg version 3 on my machine (which is running Ubuntu 16.04). To do so I have been using the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt install ffmpeg

However, when I run ffmpeg -version I always get:

ffmpeg version 2.8.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling in many different ways, restarting my machine, etc. I also consulted with someone who has experience in Linux and I can't seem to figure out the issue. I want version 3 or higher but I alway get version 2.8.15.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How to download version 3 of ffmpeg on Ubuntu 16.04

Maybe try to remove the PPA it has not received any updates since 41 weeks ago.
    Though there is FFMPEG-4 PPA by the same maintainer: https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+ar...buntu/ffmpeg-4
    This however "may" leave certain apps in a non-fully workable state, >>>SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!<<<
    Backport of FFMPEG-4 and associated libraries. Now includes AOM/AV1 and FDK AAC support!
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I have tried adding ffmpeg-4 instead of ffmpeg-3 but I still get version 2.8.15. I've seen others follow the same commands as I used above with Ubuntu 16.04 and they were able to download version 3.3 or higher so I thought it may have something to do with my machine rather than the repository.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by notsej-user View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I have tried adding ffmpeg-4 instead of ffmpeg-3 but I still get version 2.8.15. I've seen others follow the same commands as I used above with Ubuntu 16.04 and they were able to download version 3.3 or higher so I thought it may have something to do with my machine rather than the repository.
    That ppa should be 'ok' as the shared ffmpeg libs are different versions than what's normally used in 16.04. However they are pretty useless as nothing will use them other than the ffmpeg binary (useless you build sources against them.
    The inclusion of aom/av1 is similarly useless as aom is a poor decoder and incredibly slow encoder ( I did a very high quality 45 sec encode here on admittedly older hardware ( haswell), took 7 hrs, a less challenging 30 sec encode took 2.5 hrs..

Anyway run this to see what's up.
    Code:
    apt-cache policy ffmpeg
    Alternately you could try the ffmpeg snap, probably works ok and should be available to 16.04.

Also available is a build I have for 16.04, at this point rarely updated, currently though has ffmpeg git master as of today. It cannot cause any issues as installed to /opt, it cannot be used to build against. It's soley for use of the ffmpeg binaries.
    This ffmpeg, due to concerns 3 years ago about conflicting with 16.04 apps that use the ffmpeg binary is done a little different. Everything is installed out of PATH to /opt, the 3 ffmpeg binaries are symlinked to /usr with a new name. This way it can co-exist with the repo ffmpeg.
    The package name is ffmpeg-static, the commands are
    ffmpeg2
    ffprobe2
    ffplay2

https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archi...tu/ffmpeg-test

(- 18.04 will receive more attention from me, seen here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    However they are pretty useless as nothing will use them other than the ffmpeg binary
    Unless you want the ffmpeg binary.

The inclusion of aom/av1 is similarly useless as aom is a poor decoder and incredibly slow encoder
    Unless you want the AOM encoder.

Beans

The inclusion of aom/av1 is similarly useless as aom is a poor decoder and incredibly slow encoder ( I did a very high quality 45 sec encode here on admittedly older hardware ( haswell), took 7 hrs, a less challenging 30 sec encode took 2.5 hrs..
    The addition of a tiling option has meant encoding speed has picked up a little, not immensely though I confess. A 15 minute lossless video took about 10 hours here with 2 pass, some early thoughts here...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    The addition of a tiling option has meant encoding speed has picked up a little, not immensely though I confess. A 15 minute lossless video took about 10 hours here with 2 pass, some early thoughts here...
    Glad to see your site is still active..
    The last encode I did was 11 months ago, was using tiling though then ffmpeg needed to be patched to do so. ( and I patched libaom to do webm) I gather no patches needed now.
    Have a newer windows laptop with much better cpu, maybe I'' try again.
    The more interesting part back then was I found a gui for the av1 encode which gave me the basic 2 pass options which I then modified to suit. Don't know it's current state -
    https://github.com/Kagami/boram

Beans

Glad to see your site is still active..
    I still potter around with the site . I love writing HTML and I was taught to be a little pedantic with it in the early days, this has paid off with simple HTML that renders well in different browsers. Not done commonly these days though where people are using page generators, wordpress etc etc...

The last encode I did was 11 months ago, was using tiling though then ffmpeg needed to be patched to do so. ( and I patched libaom to do webm) I gather no patches needed now.
    No patching required with the latest and greatest FFmpeg but I am not sure which release version would work. If you are interested in patching for a faster AV1 encode there is a patch on FFmpeg-devel last month or 2 to allow encoding with rav1e (Rust AV1 Encoder) which promises great things in the future.

Have a newer windows laptop with much better cpu, maybe I'' try again.
    I also have new build, this time with Threadripper CPU, bought especially so that I could really come to grips with video and audio encoding!

The more interesting part back then was I found a gui for the av1 encode which gave me the basic 2 pass options which I then modified to suit. Don't know it's current state -
    https://github.com/Kagami/boram
    I have not investigated any guis yet, I suspect with a little massaging WinFF could even cope with AV1 encoding. I see no great development with WinFF lately but the presets are always fairly easy to write.

And BTW: Nice to be back in the Ubuntu Forums
    You think that's air you're breathing now?