Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox add-ons disabled and fail to download

Beans

Firefox add-ons disabled and fail to download

This bug appeared on late 3rd May.
    For example Firefox informed that the add-on uBlock is not supported and thus disabled.
    At the same time you could not download any add-ons.

Here is a link to Mozilla page dealing with this issue:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019...omment-page-1/
    Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz / Asus Sabertooth Z97 / G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 Mhz
    Samsung 850 PRO 128 Gt SSD SATA III / HP Z27i 27" IPS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Firefox add-ons disabled and fail to download

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat. which is more appropriate and a better fit.

This is nothing to do with the development version but is because the certification of the whole add-ons system has lapsed, temporarily as far as anyone can say, so wait a while and it should resolve itself.

The problem is happening on all OSs of all types, Windows, Linux, Mac (I presume?).
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm having the same problem with all of my Firefox addons. All have disappeared and can't be downloaded again. Dino99, thanks for the link.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

From mozilla.
    We rolled out a hotfix that re-enables affected add-ons. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours. For more details, please check out the update at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nstall-firefox
    We are working on a general fix that doesn’t use the Studies system and will keep this blog post updated accordingly.

We will share a more substantial update in the coming days.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...nstall-firefox
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!

I have no wish to enable studies and I think the easier way to work around this, if you have not already removed your extensions, is to go to about:config in the addressbar, search for and double click the xpinstall.signatures.required line to toggle it to false.

If the add-ons are all extensions you've been using for some time we can presumably assume they are trustworthy and not harmful, so this change should not add any extra security risks. I believe this does not allow you to add any new extensions so DO NOT REMOVE any you still want to use, simply remove the certification requirement temporarily.

Once this mess is sorted by mozilla you can double click the xpinstall line again in about:config to toggle it back to true.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Here is an update from Mozilla:

A fix has been released in Firefox version 66.0.4.
    An update will be rolled out automatically with the latest fixes or you can download a new version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Latest release of 66.0.4 seems to have fixed the issue but have not tested yet on all my installations, but so far so good.

Beans

The new FF version 66.0.4 is now available from Ubuntu official repos.
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...uild3-0ubuntu1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harry332 View Post
    The new FF version 66.0.4 is now available from Ubuntu official repos.
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...uild3-0ubuntu1
    Normally I don't need to manually update Firefox in my Lubuntu 18.04 system, which dual boots with Windows 7, as software updates automatically.

I became aware of the Firefox Addons problem for the first time this morning (Monday 06 May 2019) in Windows 7 but the browser updated automatically the next time I opened it and the Addons issue was immediately resolved. Unfortunately this simple resolution in Windows 7 has not been repeated in Lubuntu where Firefox 66.0.3 steadfastly fails to update via the Software Updater despite the availability of the updated version in the Ubuntu official repository. At the moment I am disinclined to manually download and install it in case I cause more problems. What I have done, though, is install the Vivaldi browser, copy my Firefox bookmarks into it and set up my required addons, all of which, fortunately, were also available for Vivaldi.

It may be that I remove Firefox if I am entirely happy with Vivaldi, I'll see what happens over the next 24 hours or so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast