Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch Lubuntu back to LXDE?

Beans

Switch Lubuntu back to LXDE?

Folks, I've tried. Really, I've tried to like LXQt. It has a few features I like, but fact is, I just don't like how it looks. Outside of reverting to an older version, is there a way to change my desktop back to LXDE? I'm not asking for a change in the direction of Lubuntu- I am just looking for a way to change my install. I've had a number of problems with LXQt and simply wish to move on. If I can't do it reasonably easily, I'm okay with that (there's always Xubuntu for those lightweight versions.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Switch Lubuntu back to LXDE?

I don't know which release you have, so it depends. If it is 18.10 and newer, then no.

Beans

I use to start my lubuntu build with just lxde. It was a nice and bootable starting point. But then I discovered on my rigs that Budgie was just as fast as Lue right out of the box.

I see the lxde package still exist.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/eoan/lxde

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    I use to start my lubuntu build with just lxde. It was a nice and bootable starting point. But then I discovered on my rigs that Budgie was just as fast as Lue right out of the box.

That's good to know. I'll also have to look at Budgie. Right now, I am going to install 18.04 on the old device I want to re-install. It's an old, but still useful, netbook. Not a lot of horsepower, but it serves the uses quite nicely. Small, light, non-reflective screen. Perfect for the beach.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I don't know which release you have, so it depends. If it is 18.10 and newer, then no.
    I sed to change the desktop I used on occasion in older versions of Linux. Sadly, it doesn't look like that is very easy to do now...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post

Cruzer, you freaking ROCK! That got me out of LXQt and I can now use LXDE on 19.04! It was as simple as apt install lxde!!!

Beans

It went smoothly for you, excellent

don't forget

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Gratefully done, sir.

Beans

Just FYI

I have a 13 year old laptop with a single core processor and 2gig of ram that is running Budgie. I do keep the install fairly vanilla, but with gnome3 a new world of bells and whistles await you (which are better known as extensions). I still recommend you take it for a test drive one day.

Beans

I think LXQT is very confusing to configure and I am sad to see the probable end of life for LXDE. I was going to try Sparky Linux, but I don't think you are able to add the Ubuntu Repositories.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast