Thread: dd hanging, not responding, IOWait is very high

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Unhappy dd hanging, not responding, IOWait is very high

Ubuntu 16.04, Lenovo T440p, 2x Seagate BUP Slim RD USB Hard disks

Hello,

I'm duplicating a 2TB USB hard disk as a backup ahead of a two month travel. I've used this technique for years:

# pv /dev/sdb | dd of=/dev/sdc

Once complete, I take an MD5SUM to assure myself the volumes are correct.

Yesterday, I woke up to find it was hung at 520GB, with a transfer rate of 19KiB/s and the ETA timer frozen. CTRL-C, couldn't kill it. It didn't occur to me that kill -9 might kill it as I wasn't coffee'd up yet. I instead told the laptop to shutdown. It didn't. I had to force shutdown the laptop.

Today, I tried again and this time it's at 1.17TiB and hung frozen at 19KiB/s with exactly 4:49:50 remaining. Kill -USR1 doesn't wake it up. Other terminal windows work fine and I ran top. No processes out of control, but the Wait parameter is steady between 70-90%. Forgot using a web browser. I was going to cut-paste some info, but typing lags by approximately 80-90 seconds before appearing on the screen. However, the Terminal works just fine. Nothing is logged in dmesg.

I have not tampered with anything and I have an operable term window. I want to understand where the problem is. These tools are as old as I am and cannot accept that there is a bug in them. Where do I look to find out where the issue is? This is not a code red emergency, but I'd rather not leave these disks powered for days at a time.

Thanks!

Tim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: dd hanging, not responding, IOWait is very high

When dd has issues, it doesn't fail gracefully. Use ddrescue instead. There might be a single, bad, sector, preventing dd from continuing. It might be unused.

For making an image backup, using something like fsarchiver might be a better choice since it compresses stuff and if it understands the file system, only the actually used parts are included. Also, it can be restored to a smaller disk/partition unlike most other image-based tools.

OTOH, if you have great backups already, using real backup tools, then those should be preferred over any image-based solution. This is the method I use. Backups take 2-5 minutes daily and restores to a working system take just 30-45min including a base install of the OS from the current ISO file. Anyways, that is probably an option for when you return. Getting everything into this backup method, but nothing extra, takes a few attempts. Took me about 5 failures before I got it correct on the first system. That was about 10 yrs ago. Used it last week to move a system to new hardware. Used it 3 months ago to move to a new laptop. About once a year, I do something really stupid and need to restore the entire system during an approved maintenance period.

There is something about images which make people sleep better. The trade-off is backup downtime and huge storage requirements when compared to the alternatives. Once you master grub-install and update-grub with having the files in the correct places, all the boot "magic" doesn't matter anymore. It is very easy to get a system restored to working from efficient non-image backups.