Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I think I have added kubuntu to ubuntu - not sure

Beans

Re: I think I have added kubuntu to ubuntu - not sure

I have now logged out and logged back in (also got rid of the auto login). In BOTH cases I got:
    Code:
    greg@movies:~$ loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID
    Id=3
    User=1000
    Name=greg
    Timestamp=Wed 2019-05-08 16:08:41 PDT
    TimestampMonotonic=170068745
    VTNr=1
    Seat=seat0
    Display=:0
    Remote=no
    Service=sddm
    Desktop=GNOME-Classic:GNOME:
    Scope=session-3.scope
    Leader=2512
    Audit=3
    Type=x11
    Class=user
    Active=yes
    State=active
    IdleHint=no
    IdleSinceHint=0
    IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
    LockedHint=no
    greg@movies:~$
    Then I did:
    Code:
    greg@movies:/usr/share/xsessions$ ls
    gnome-classic.desktop  plasma.desktop                    ubuntu.desktop
    kodi.desktop           ubuntu-communitheme-snap.desktop
    Since I logged in with the plasma screen (I think) and , when rebooting it said "Kubuntu" instead of "ubuntu" It thinks its not loading gnome desktop? The simple fact is that it is. This even gets better! Tweaks, for instance, no longer does anything. I really need to get to the plasma shell but have no idea how to get there as I thought I would be there by logging in with that screen.

I should add that I think I used to have a 'dock' option in my system settings but not now. I do, however, have a bar on the bottom of the screen which holds currently open programs. I also have dash to dock (gnome) also running.

I should also add that my top bar is now running with high contrast icons and I can no longer control them.

Mysteries do, obviously, abound............
    Last edited by jgw; 1 Week Ago at 12:42 AM.
    Memory: 14.6 GiB
    Processor: AMD® A8-7650k radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 pixels
    GNOME: 3.28 OS: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Did you try creating a new user account as TheFu suggested and logging into the plasma session?
    Does your normal Ubuntu session work where you should be able to change title bar fonts with gnome-tweaks? (Gnome classic isn't the default Ubuntu session)

What is the goal here?
    Do you want the plasma desktop or do you just want to use krusader in the default Ubuntu desktop environment?
    Last edited by guber2; 1 Week Ago at 09:02 PM.

Beans

Thank you for the reply..............

I thought I had replied but that went up in smoke so I will try again.

I did not try creating a new user account as I could never figure out how to do that.
    I don't thing I have a nor al ubuntu session anymore and gnome tweaks no longer works.

I am running with a 4k system with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 on a 65" tv. I use this system for watching downloaded movies.
    My problem began when nautilus get strange. I would not, for instance, change the mouse icon when I hovered over column boundaries but I could guess where that was to move columns around. Then I thought I would look at other file managers and those, like Krusader, had problems with the program fonts. I could control the data display fonts but not menu or other bars intrinsic to the program. When running with a 4k desktop fonts get very strange very quick. I was then told to try the plasma screen and the system configurator for that. So I added kde with https://vitux.com/how-to-install-the...ntu-18-04-lts/. Then I tried the kde configurator also had font problems but that made no difference anyway.

I could go on and on but the simple fact is that this adventure has led to a genuine mess. Right now I am told that I have a gnome desktop with a SDDM service. what I have been trying to do is install a plasma desktop. Its kinda interesting. If I reboot, for instance, the "Ubuntu" name is now "Kubuntu". I stopped the auto login and now get to login to a box that is so small I can't even really read it. I have been told that this is the KDE login screen.

Since I have spent more than a week on this I am now to a point where I think my best solution is to re-install the operating system (probably kubuntu this time). The question becomes should I install it completely wiping everything out or try to install saving the existing programs. Given my mess I should probably go with a complete install. I have my data on another drive so that is safe. I will, however, have to reinstall kodi, couchpotato and sonarr (and probably a bunch of other stuff). I have done this a number of times, over the years, but resist because of the time it will take. On the other hand I suspect I have spent twice as much time not doing that as I would have spent doing it.

Anyway, I appreciate everybody's help but my suspicion is that its time to stop bothering everybody and just get on with it.

Thoughts?
    Memory: 14.6 GiB
    Processor: AMD® A8-7650k radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 pixels
    GNOME: 3.28 OS: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Honestly you are no bother, but this is just something "I" just can't figure out.
    I can't even re-produce it..
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123